Author Topic: That Middleton place!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
That Middleton place!
« on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:06 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any ideas on this one. Given as place of residence on a marriage certificate of 1870.
                        Mistyrose
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: That Middleton place!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:11 BST (UK) »
Looks like "Middleton, Middlesex" to me.  There's a Middleton just south of Sudbury in Suffolk, and several others.  I can't see one in Middlesex but there might have been a boundary change since then!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Mrs Lizzy,

There is a Co inbetween the Middleton and Middlesex. I can't find any reference to a Middleton in Middlesex anywhere. I thought if I scanned that bit of the certificate in someone may have some helpful ideas. There is a Myddleton House at Bulls Cross Enfield and I have found a reference to a Myddleton Farm same area but nothing with Co. Thanks for the info.
             Mistyrose
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
Yes I was puzzled by that, because I looked up on the index of our map and found Middleton, Midd, which led me to Middleton, which looks to be about 15 miles south of Edinburgh.   The "Co" led me to wonder if it was going to be in Co Durham, although maybe it just means County of Middlesex. 

Then there's Middleton, Co of H (don't know what that means!) which is located maybe about 10 miles south of Ludlow in Shropshire.

Maybe I'll take a closer look at the excerpt!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:40 BST (UK) »
Just realised, Misty, that looks like the name of the house or street where your ancestor was living, rather than the town.  Any chance of a look at more of the certificate? What's the name of the church and parish where the marriage took place?

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
          The marriage took place at Christchurch in the district Chapelry of Christchurch Brixton Road, Kennington, Surrey. Just around the corner from where the Bride was living in Cowley Road, Kennington in the District of Lambeth. Doesn't help does it.   Mistyrose

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:50 BST (UK) »
Does it say if they were married by banns, licence etc?  Maybe they were living outside the county or parish when they married.  It looks as though either the name of the house has been given (but it doesn't seem quite to fit, does it?) or else the location is outside the area for some reason.  It's like if we sign a visitor's book, if it's near where we live, we'd write, say "Crouch Street, Colchester", but if it was miles away, we'd write "Colchester, Essex".

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:53 BST (UK) »
It says married after banns.  Mistyrose

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:57 BST (UK) »
I have to confess, for the time being at any rate, I'm stumped!  Usually what you see in that column is a street address, but this looks like a town and county only.