Author Topic: Grave 191 row 7 section 8, Cefn Golau cemetery in Tredegar, Monmouthshire  (Read 465 times)

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have been tracing the Stephens family who lived in Tredegar, Wales and found a reference to grave 191 row 7 section 8 in Cefn Golau cemetery. I believe that 4 of the Stephens children, born in the early 1900s, are buried there. As I live in Australia I'm not able to travel there but I wondered if anyone had a transcription, or better still, a photograph, of this particular grave? I don't think that they died as a result of any cholera epidemic - I believe that there are 2 sections to Cefn Golau - so I think this reference would relate to the non-cholera section.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Grave 191 row 7 section 8, Cefn Golau cemetery in Tredegar, Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
I believe that 4 of the Stephenson children, born in the early 1900s, are buried there.

What were their names and when did they die
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Morgan Richard Stephens, died 1905, Margaret Ann Stephens died 1905, Morgan Stephens died 1908 and Mary Elizabeth Stephens, died 1920. (Sorry, I made a typo when I first put the post up, surname was Stephens, now corrected.)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Had a drive up to Cefn Golau earlier today. On Section 8 there appeared to be only about 20% of the graves with any headstones some of which were unreadable.  I checked all the readable ones but could not find a Stephens.  There were not any cemetery staff around but will check again when our Covid 19 lock down is brought under control to see if I can find a positive location of the grave.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 20 05:10 BST (UK) »
Thank so much for that! I am in Australia so there is no way I could get there myself (particularly with the current situation.) The babies buried in grave 191 are the siblings of Brinley Stephens whose daughter immigrated to Australia in the 1960s. For us, its existence has only recently come to light - life must have been pretty tough in the early 1900s to lose 4 children at such an early age.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yes losing 2 at birth and 2 at 2 years of age must have been a huge blow - so so sad.  Its interesting to note that the Stephens were only living a couple of streets away from where Nye Bevan (NHS) was living in 1911.  Morgan (senior) may have even worked in the same mine as Nye?
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]