Author Topic: 9th Light Dragoons  (Read 299 times)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
9th Light Dragoons
« on: Monday 04 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi.

There was an Etheldred Ellis who stated that he was An Officer's Servant in 9th Light Dragoon Guards, in 1815 and in 1819 is given as a Soldier.

A quick search shows the Regiment as being at Home in 1813 and for the next 3 decades.

Does anybody know where the Regiment was stationed in April 1824? There was an Ethelred Ellis buried at Fulford in April 1824 of The Barracks and about the right age.

I'm wondering if they may be the same person, given the not so common name.

Regards, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 9th Light Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
In July 1824 the regiment was ordered from Cahir to Dublin having been in Ireland since July 1823 (Home included Ireland in those far off pre-lock down days).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.

Would any of the Regiment have been at Fulford at that time or would the whole lot have been in Ireland?

Do you know which Regiment/s were stationed there at that time?

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
There is no sure way of finding out either I'm afraid. The whereabouts of the regiment comes from newspaper records reporting the movement of the whole regiment.

Newspapers local to the barracks may have something.  A search on Fulford (or Imphal) barracks yields no hits on the newspapers on Findmypast.  Yorkshire BMDs ??

The regiment's muster (pay) book for the period is at the National Archives https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2460717 - not digitised but if it has anything at all it will not give personal information that can be related to his family.

Headstone?

Don't think there is any other easy way from military records.   Burial records ?  Have a try on the Yorkshire board perhaps.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
The historical record of the regiment makes no mention of York (until March 1827):

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.278820/page/n59/mode/2up/search/york

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Not to worry. I appreciate your time and effort.

Maybe I've got it wrong and there were two people with a very similar name and age or he took on a different role in the Military. Something may transpire in the future.

Thanks, Eric.