Author Topic: Joiner and Architect  (Read 957 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Joiner and Architect
« on: Monday 04 May 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
In 1877 a Thomas Millington of Hope, Flintshire is noted as being the architect of a  Chapel.
The only man I can find in Hope is a Thomas Millington who is a joiner.
The building is very simple , but  there is a lot of woodwork , pulpit, pews etc  in the building ,
could Thomas  the joiner  possibly be the same man.
Thanks.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joiner and Architect
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
If you consider that in the middle ages the "architecture" was carried out by the Master Craftsmen, masons and carpenters, it is no surprise to see later craftsmen who have reached the top of their trade and progressed to a position of designing and supervising buildings, that the change in classification is quite common.

I have a  family member ( my great gf brother ) who was a stonemason, then master mason employing men and in his final two Census records he appears as Architect and Surveyor. On the other hand my ggfather who was also a stonemason and employed other men never rose above the rank of stonemason.

I believe that it was not until about 1930 that it became unlawful for anyone to call themselves an Architect unless they were properly Registered.

So I suppose thanswer to the question is, yes, it is probably the same person.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note to say thank you for bringing to my attention that Thomas Millington (my G G Grandfather) was the Architect of the New Primitive Methodist Chapel in Froome, Wrexham which I assume was used for the following website :

https://www.wrexham-history.com/ffrwd-frood-chapel/

Do you know if there are any papers in the Wrexham Archives concerning his work for this Chapel ?

Thanks,

Al and Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look at Flintshire Records office and there are quite a few Millington records none seem to be for Thomas Millington.   They are linked to Denbighshire so probably the same.
Wrexham Archives website used to have a search facility but the new site doesnt..

Perhaps you can try , you might find something I didn't.

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 21 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your feedback,

Al and Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)