Author Topic: Diary - Monday, 4 May 2020  (Read 887 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday, 4 May 2020
« on: Monday 04 May 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Sinann - that sounds like that would have been very comforting and uplifting to see this unexpected appearance of a beautiful flower on your cat's grave. 

California Dreamin - it is nice to see you back posting again.   :)

Diary

Catching up from this morning ...

Finished nightshift.  The weather is bright and sunny, which puts me in good spirits.  Both my buses home come on time.

I quickly find myself becoming very drowsy though on second bus which goes through a scenic route.  I am very tired now and keep drifting off and then coming too, for much of the journey.  I know I will have to be careful not to miss my stop.  I do manage to come too in time for getting off at my final destination.
I feel quite disappointed though that I have missed many highlights of the journey.  I have no recollection of seeing the fields with horses, the rural walkways with people out on daily exercise, the old Roman Catholic Church where some Great Grandparents got married, the little village Church where one of my brothers got married and I was their 5 year old bridesmaid, the picturesque village which looks like from another time, the war memorials and the intriguing looking, possibly now deserted  old hall.  I recall  seeing a brief glimpse of a lake and a cemetery which has lots of interesting old graves.  I also observe as I get off that there are other passengers on board that I had never even noticed get on.
I feel a bit deflated about all I have missed.  I can't believe it!  Now that my gadding about has been so much reduced to just work, shop and occasional exercise this particular bus  route now feels elevated to something of a 'treat'.  I have been looking forward to it all weekend, too! Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk I tell myself and there is always tomorrow.

.. Now I am once again commuting back to nightshift.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday, 4 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
RTL, you and your colleagues are doing a fantastic job, I hope when things settle down you will all be allowed  a few days rest

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
I echo that, but a programme on the radio tonight paints a rather grim picture.
For some considerable time there will be great changes.Especially in the Health Service.
Relatively minor operations will just not be done eg haemorrhoids will not be dealt with, no keyhole surgery so hospital stays longer because  to use K S
air is pumped into the cavity to separate organs and that is considered too big a risk , in case Covid 19 is still around even in  sterile low risk areas Like hospital theatres !
I did not expect instant normality ,and felt it would be years before we got back to “ normal” but grave warnings about the source and lack of action ,especially in one laboratory ,in that country in particular!
Could something like this happen again?
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
The trouble with programmes like that is that, due to the fact that things are changing all the time and more is found out about the virus, much of the basis of the programme would have to be speculation. I've no doubt that there will be changes in the health service but we can only wait and see what the nature of them will be.
Viktoria, I believe River Tyne Lass works in the caring profession but not in the NHS.

RTL, what a shame you missed the scenic part of your journey but tomorrow you'll be telling us of all the lovely things you've seen on the way home.A lovely sunny day is forecast!

My day -

Went for the usual walk, a couple who were cycling in the woods called a good morning. That pleases me because since the lockdown a lot of people seem to think they'll catch something if you just exchange hellos in passing. It seems strange because this is normally a very friendly area where people just naturally say hi to someone when out for a walk.

I've been feeling quite agitated today. My Tesco delivery was scheduled between three and seven p.m and I was hoping it would be early in that slot. I kept looking at the website as the information said that it would show a better estimate of the time on the day. I eventually realised that I should have been just clicking on the Groceries heading, not the details related to my order. It showed an estimate of 4.15 to 4.45 so I settled down a bit then. I'd decided to wipe down all the shopping in the garden as it was a lovely sunny day. I had the garden table opened out and buckets, soap and water and cloths ready. I also put newspapers on the kitchen floor to put the bags on before taking them outside. The delivery man arrived at 4.15, hooray! He asked if I wanted the bags just qutside the front door and I ferried them through to the kitchen when he went for the next lot.

Outside and the washing commenced. It was much better doing it there than in the kitchen, I had a coolbox and another large plastic box to put some items in once they'd been washed, they're now stored in the garage along with some tins and jars I didn't get round to, I'll do them tomorrow. It all took ages but I'm well stocked up now.

Had a long chat with my friend who shops for me, she hadn't been feeling well yesterday and I was worried about what it was but it wasn't anything of concern and thank goodness she's okay now.

Ended up having tea rather late but that doesn't really matter. Some TV and Rootschat, going to have a soak in the bath and then bed.

What day was it today?  ???  ;)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
Oh dear RTL so sorry you missed the part of your journey you were looking forward to the most, hopefully you'll be able to make up for it in the coming days.

Glad to hear you got your shopping delivery Roobarb and you're right it does take time to wash it all down, I have that treat to look forward to on Wednesday!

Diary
Today started off dull and not too warm either, didn't have a good night so tried to sleep in a bit but it didn't work!
Usual breakfast, then thought I ought to go through my shopping list but really I like to get most stuff in Lidls as it's cheaper than Waitrose that's for sure.... wish they did c & c! Oh well might just have to be there as they open at 8am instead to miss the crowds...
Did the ironing...
Had lunch... OH outside krecoteing the shed...good time to find something else to do 😁
Had some chat with the 'for the love of scrubs' group on FB and when the post came the pattern I'd sent for had arrived... sadly it's aimed at men so even small size would be too large for women. Someone on FLOS gave me another website to download a unisex pattern so I bit the bullet, kept my fingers crossed put a load of pink paper... no idea why we'd got a whole rehm of that colour .. and pressed print... 50 pages later it was all done... then I had to glue them all together matching numbers up! That took me two of Kirstie Allsopp's craft programmes to do.... finally I was able to start cutting actual garments out! Two prs trousers and two tops... by this time it's time to cook dinner.... where does the time go when you're having fun..

Spaghetti Bolognaise tonight with some for the freezer...
Watched tv.. last episode of Homeland and then Jane Macdonald cruising around America... she's a real live wire and full of fun quite refreshing to watch, finished knitting another babies blanket for the hospital...

Off to bed for a read...

Not been out today... tomorrow looks chilly and want to get on with sewing...

Think it was Monday today but who knows...

Take care, stay healthy and don't believe everything they tell you... trying to avoid too much news now.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
Today they have apparently been reporting that tests in a Laboratory show antibody 47D11 which attaches to the spike of SARS-CoVID-2 can apparently stop the spike hooking on.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-a-paper-reporting-on-a-human-monoclonal-antibody-that-neutralizes-sars-cov-2-and-sars-cov-in-cell-culture/

It seems there is a long way to go, but an interesting claim.

Mark

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Ah...thanks RTL - good to be back!  Your journey sounds charming.

Today's post: Lovely bright sunshine to wake with and usual morning routine. Made it to the park in good time today.  I have found Monday's and Friday's to be the quietest for some reason.  I have a well trodden route now and headed down my normal pathway.  However this morning I was 'accosted' in a most charming manner by a young man (age 2 or maybe 3 years?) in an alligator onsey, green wellys and with a stick dramatically pointed at me as he demanded that I 'Stand and Deliver'!  I was able to stand (hands held high of course) but could not deliver as I don't actually carry anything when I'm out on my walks! I was able to continue undeterred with a spring in my step...  All of the lovely pink blossom has now gone but there are a few bright patches to be seen - an amazing pink rhoda and a very pretty pink tree which I think might be crepe myrtle. A few hellos to now familiar faces.

I made a few phone calls when I returned home and did some research on various projects.

Lunch - was soup and a left over scone.  Still very nice.

Tea - a chicken and rice dish which always goes down well.

Tomorrow I'm dreading.  It's the big supermarket shop I have been putting off.  I have re-jigged my shopping habits somewhat and have found a local farm shop where I can buy nice meat/veg/dairy products.  (It's a phone order and collect at a specific time)  And I'm leaving things like tinned goods, TP, cleaning products etc. for the super market.  It takes so long, is so depressing, very unhygienic.  For example there is no one cleaning the trolleys they just go back into circulation as normal. Ugh....

Things seem to be getting back to normal somewhat with my daughter who works in London.  The patients had slowed down through her unit (cancer treatment) but  they now seem to be filtering patients back into the system.  She now has much better PPE rather than the 'sandwich making' style some weeks back. She seems confident with what is being provided for her.  She was only just last week tested for CV-19 and she's a front line worker!  I think it's all getting very tedious on her time off and she is definitely ready for the easing of restrictions so she can come home for a wee visit.

Glad to hear the continuing tales of everyone's day.

Stay safe!
CD

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I echoed Louisa Maud’s  message to RiverTyne Lass, which I think
was aimed at everyone  working for others.
My Tesco order comes today sometime between 11 and 3-30.
I have also finally got through to a nearby farm shop for fresh milk,eggs and fruit juice deliveries.
They are not much dearer than the supermarket,and when you think the small amount per pint farmers get from supermarkets ,the few pence difference is well worth it for the reliability,convenience and knowledge that a good family business is kept going.
The daughters of the family  outcooked zGordon Ramsay onT.V. ,and without swearing too!
A nice  restaurant , garden centre and farm shop ,milk round etc.
It is an asset and deserves support.
I stopped getting deliveries when I lived on a main road and Milk was regularly stolen, even when put at the back door ,so I cancelled ,sadly.
Glad to have them back again.
Hope everyone is alright , off to reorganise the freezer ready for the delivery .Cleaned fridge yesterday.
A bit of a laugh, today is the anniversary of the siege at the Iranian Embassy ,that was not funny at all but my friend (whose misuse of words,without realising her errors ) consistently called it the Urinal Embassy!

Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
Today they have apparently been reporting that tests in a Laboratory show antibody 47D11 which attaches to the spike of SARS-CoVID-2 can apparently stop the spike hooking on.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-a-paper-reporting-on-a-human-monoclonal-antibody-that-neutralizes-sars-cov-2-and-sars-cov-in-cell-culture/

It seems there is a long way to go, but an interesting claim.

Mark
That is interesting ,did not realise the nerve damage already suffered cannot
be reversed when anti virals are given.
I would however like the water turned off even though the house is already flooded , to quote !
Thanks ,very informative .
Viktoria.