Author Topic: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan  (Read 2148 times)

Offline nkiaora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 20 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much lanarman and aghadowey for the reply, and information.  Family lore is that Robert Stevenson's wife Grace had died in childbirth,  but I have not been able to find any information to verify that. Family had always assumed that she had died when she had my great grandmother, Elizabeth, in 1877, but by those Letters Of Administration,  one assumes that she was still alive when he passed in 1880.  I have not found any death record for Grace (Dunlop) Stevenson, nor do the family have any idea where Elizabeth was during her childhood.  I will keep searching.  Thanks again
Noble, McVicker, Stevenson, Crow, Baxter, Dean, Alcock, Dunlop

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 November 20 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Checked Robert's death certificate to make sure wife was alive when he died and yes, he's married-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06480/4864331.pdf (Stevinson)

Ballymena Observer, 21 Aug.1880: STATUTORY NOTICE TO CREDITORS... said Robert Stevenson, who died on or about 14th day of June, 1880, at Tullykittagh, aforesaid, intestate, and whose Estate Letters of Administration were granted to his widow, Grace Sterenaon, of Tullykittagh, aforesaid, on the 16th day of August, 1880... 

Checked deaths and marriages from 1880 onward for Grace on Irish Genealogy without finding her. Took a look at the 2 Valuation Revision books that covered before and after 1880 without even seeing Robert Stevenson listed although writing was faint in places. Then I searched the townland of Limavallaghan (residence when he married) and found 7. Quinton Stevenson changed to a John Maxwell in 1880, 9. William Stevenson changed to a John Maxwell in 1870. So, no clues there as to where and when Grace left Tullykittagh after Robert died.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
This might be a possibility for you, nkiaora:

The 1877 marriage registration between Robert Stevenson and Grace Dunlop gives her father's name as James Dunlop. On Oct. 15, 1904 there is a marriage registered between a Grace Dunlop, age 60, WIDOW and a John Coile both from Carnageeragh, Parish of Loughguile, Ballymoney. All Saints Church, Church of Ireland. The interesting part is that Grace Dunlop, WIDOW, gives her father's name as James Dunlop.  If this Grace is a widow and James Dunlop is her father, then who was she the widow of? (I guess that it's Robert Stevenson but more proof is needed.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 November 20 23:15 GMT (UK) »

Offline nkiaora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Very plausible theory for Grace. It all fits into place.  The only mystery now is about the family story that she had died during childbirth. That information was from Grace's daughter, and has been passed down the generations. One other confusion, is that on her marriage registration,  her father is listed as James, in the  marriage announcement in the Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland), 29 May 1877, it states that she is the second daughter of Mr.John Dunlop, late of Newtowncrommelin. I wonder if  that John was actually some other relative listed by mistake.

Great getting some answers for this mystery lady.  Thank you so much for all of your help.
Noble, McVicker, Stevenson, Crow, Baxter, Dean, Alcock, Dunlop

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 05:16 GMT (UK) »
I browsed through all the original Griffiths Valuations scanned images for Newton Crommelin up to 1880 and found a Joseph Dunlop in Scotchomerbane and a JAMES Dunlap (Dunlop) in neighbouring Skerry East Townland.  No John's. This James Dunlop's property was transferred to a James Wallace in 1864 and then to a Hugh Barnes in 1866. I presume James Dunlop died pre 1864- but this is speculation at this point.

You mention that in the 1877 newspaper announcement that Grace was the daughter of John Dunlop, LATE of Newtown Crommelin. I assume this means that he was dead at that time. There were 4 John Dunlop deaths registered in the civil registrations in Ballymena pre 1877 and 2 for a James Dunlop pre 1877. Only one fits for a pre 1864 death (to tie in with a land transfer in 1864, noted above) and that was in 1864 for a James and he was 63 years old. The scanned image for this registration is not online. But I would do more research first to verify if this is "your" James. My guess is that "John" was a mistake in the newspaper announcement.

I also cannot find a birth circa 1877 for an Elizabeth Stevenson. Perhaps her birth Mother did pass away in childbirth and the Stevenson's raised her? (just a theory).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Birth of Elizabeth Stevinson on 21 Nov.1877-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1877/02990/2095671.pdf
(I searched for Ste*son 1877)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
That simplifies things. Good find. Not sure how I missed that, but....

So who did Elizabeth marry?

nkiaora:  I do have some distant "hits" for Stevensons from Antrim on one of my DNA website matches. Might take some time but I have sent a private message to the match and waiting on their reply.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile