Author Topic: Hudson McBeth marriage  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson McBeth marriage
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorrie, thanks for a very helpful and informative contribution. I'll give it a try !! Keep safe, Barry
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
If I use Free BMD Searches I can find lots of info on births, deaths and marriages in England up to 1963 but I don't know of anything like that in Scotland or I wouldn't putting my request on here.
As already stated, there is a corresponding index at Scotland's People which is free to use once you have registered.

However the SP index does not show mothers' maiden surnames for most years.

Downloading a certificate costs 6 credits (£1.50), and you get it on the spot, whereas for an English certificate you have to wait for it to arrive and it will cost either £6 or £11, and contain less information.

Last time I used ScotlandsPeople (my wife and I both had a Scottish grandmother) I got the info quickly but was left with credit I couldn't use.
When you buy more credits, any inactivated ones are reactivated, though I don't know offhand if there is a time limit on reactivation. You can buy enough credits for 5 certificates for far less than the cost of ordering one English marriage certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
Pay per view/Pay as you go Credits

Access to the digital images of certain record sets on this Website is based on a system of credits. Credits are available to purchase, are valid for a period of two years from time of purchase and will expire if you do not use them in that time.  However, a purchase of additional credits before the expiry date activates a new session of two years for any unexpired credits held in your account at that time.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/terms-and-conditions

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Sadly my searches did not discover any of the people whose details I was seeking. Curiously I never could find my own mother's birth record either !! Thanks to everyone who responded.
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Barry, if you could give us some more details of the people you are seeking (ensuring that they are not living), we might be able to help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 May 20 00:18 BST (UK) »
That's very kind of you. The people in question would have been late greatuncle, late great aunt and very old living aunt but I don't want to upset anyone by pestering them just to fill some gaps in my FamilyTreeMaker tree which goes right back to 1564. Because I don't want to tread on any toes I don't want to ask a lot of questions and only know surnames and locations. I remember my mother's concern that she could never pin down from her Scottish mother where she (my mother) was born and got all manner of places where the family had been billeted (grandfather was in Gordon Highlanders and had been in Aberdeen, India, Cork, Colchester and Aldershot, all of which, except India, were told to my mother as her unrecorded birthplace !!). So, I'm stuck with McBeth (or Macbeth), Hudson, Leith and Bradford. The first record of my mother that I've been able to find was Colchester Barracks in the 1911 census where she was said to be 7 months, born York. Unnnh !!
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 May 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
Have you found the details for your g/parents & have you found your g/father's Service Record.

Knowing who your g/parents were with all known details may help to find something?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 May 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
Not Leith & not Hudson but from what you say things weren't straight forward i.e. could this be a possible...

HOUSTON MAVIS ANNIE - 1922 - 496/ 129 Dumbarton

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 May 20 00:55 BST (UK) »
Here's a marriage with similar names but they're the opposite way round  :-\

HOUSTON AMELIA WATSON / MCBEATH JOHN 1917 - 692/2 291 Leith South

Annie