Author Topic: Help required re Robert Greenhalgh b c1800  (Read 1200 times)

Offline daveroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help required re Robert Greenhalgh b c1800
« on: Tuesday 05 May 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi - My ggggfather Robert Greenhalgh was b c1800 in Harwood, Lancs and died 1877 Farnworth. He was married to a Sarah and they had 12 children including my gggfather Abraham chr 1834 Ainsworth. Other children began with Thomas/William in 1824 and ended with Hannah in 1846. We think his wife may have been sarah halliwell (there's a marriage at Christ Church Ainsworth in 1823 married by banns with consent of parents - does that mean they were under age or is that just a common thing?). In the 1841 census they were at Smiths Fold Ainsworth; 1851./61 Bulls Head Row Ainsworth; 1871 Farnworth. Rober is a painter in all of these whereas the Robert in the 1823 marriage was a weaver so that may not be correct. Unfortunately there are no elderly relations living with them in 1841 so I really don't know where to go with this. Any ideas gratefully received!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Greenhalgh - Ainsworth, Bolton
Sargent - Halstead
Legate - Henlow
Kershaw - Manchester
Mitchell - Southwark/Bermondsey
Parrett - Southwark/Bermondsey/Woolwich
Bowden - Bermondsey

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help required re Robert Greenhalgh b c1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
We think his wife may have been sarah halliwell (there's a marriage at Christ Church Ainsworth in 1823 married by banns with consent of parents - does that mean they were under age or is that just a common thing?).

Looking at other marriages at Christ Church around the same time, they all say "with consent of parents". It was standard wording.
Brother of one of my ancestors married about this time in another Lancashire parish "with consent of parents" but I know he was 26 and bride was 23. It's simply that the phrase hadn't been struck out for theirs or other marriages on the page in the register.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
My ggggfather Robert Greenhalgh was b c1800 in Harwood, Lancs and died 1877 Farnworth. He was married to a Sarah and they had 12 children including my gggfather Abraham chr 1834 Ainsworth. Other children began with Thomas/William in 1824 and ended with Hannah in 1846.

Baptism 30th May 1824 Christ Church Ainsworth
William Greenhalgh son of Robert & Sarah
Born 8th Feb. 1824.
Abode Ainsworth; occupation plasterer
(Transcription on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website)

I don't see a Thomas 1824?

What was Sarah's birthplace on census?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
Were these the other children?
1825 John
1827 Robert, baptised St. Peter, Bolton
1830 Betty
1832 Margaret
1834 Abraham
1835 James
All except Robert baptised at Christ Church, Ainsworth. Abode Ainsworth. Transcription of occupations plasterer, weaver, painter, printer.

Edited. Were John, Robert and Margaret definitely their children? Robert's occupation was plasterer for those baptisms and weaver for Betty.

For background interest:
Ainsworth History Society https://ainsworthhistorysociety.org/index.html
Topics in "Articles and memories" tab include "Wiliam & Sally Greenhalgh" (lived in Ainsworth late 19th-20thC.) and "A walk around historic Ainsworth".
I wonder if Robert switched occupations because of new buildings in the village. Row of cottages known as club houses c.1830, new church, school, Holly Bank all 1830s; another row of club houses, Hey Club Row.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - My ggggfather Robert Greenhalgh was b c1800 in Harwood, Lancs and died 1877 Farnworth. He was married to a Sarah and they had 12 children including my gggfather Abraham chr 1834 Ainsworth. Other children began with Thomas/William in 1824 and ended with Hannah in 1846. We think his wife may have been sarah halliwell

Birth registrations Joseph 1839, Joseph 1840, Sarah Ann 1844 and Hannah 1846 all with mother's maiden surname Halliwell. All registered in Elton sub district. I don't see a birth registration for Margaret 1837. www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Cowban

Offline daveroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for confirming haliwell.  What I need to do is find who Robert's parents were.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Greenhalgh - Ainsworth, Bolton
Sargent - Halstead
Legate - Henlow
Kershaw - Manchester
Mitchell - Southwark/Bermondsey
Parrett - Southwark/Bermondsey/Woolwich
Bowden - Bermondsey

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
There's a promising Presbyterian baptism on 17th July 1800 nearby, for a Robert born April 6th to Peter Greenhalgh and Sarah (Barlow). Are they Robert's parents?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:49 BST (UK) »
And there's another Harwood baptism in 1802, but he may not have been baptised as early as often happened - I've some that waited a few years to get round to baptisms - a son Robert to a Robert Greenhalgh and Alice.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
I added something to my reply #3. I'd meant to do a new reply and quote part of reply 3 but clicked on wrong thing. I might have deleted some of it but I can't remember what. :-[
Cowban