Author Topic: Somerset St James?  (Read 226 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Somerset St James?
« on: Tuesday 05 May 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
I've found a possible record relating to my great(x3)-grandfather in Ancestry's "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service" collection, however I'm a bit non-plussed by the information given in the Where Born column. It says "Somerset, St James". I can't find a place called that and if it's a parish, the number of churches in the county dedicated to St James make that unhelpful. Am I missing something? Is being from St James somewhere obvious to someone from Somerset which as a daft notherner I'm just not getting, or is it really as vague as it appears to me?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset St James?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
I see from another thread that you are looking at LEWIS.
Putting 2&2 together does not always add up but there is a baptism for a John Lewis at St James Church, Bath (destroyed in WW2) on 17th June 1781, Father Georg   Mother Jane.
Is this of any help?
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset St James?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the missing info, I just posted what I thought was relevent to the question. Yes, it's a Lewis I'm looking at, William Lewis to be precise. His age on death in 1840 was said to be 48, but as the baptism of his oldest child, Henry, in 1819 gave his occupation as a soldier in the 88th Foot and this is the only William Lewis in the 88th Foot that I can find, I'm guessing for now that it must be him, even though this William is 4 years younger (born c1796 given an enlisted age of 14 in 1810).
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk