Author Topic: Exporting my tree to Ancestry & findmypast  (Read 1707 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: Exporting my tree to Ancestry & findmypast
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
I would normally delete the old one once the new one is accepted
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 13:09 BST (UK) »
Is your FHS an Ancestry member then Andrew?   How do your individual FHS members upload under this umbrella then?

Pheno
Yes, but they have the Library sub, which gets you the records but doesn't let you save a tree.

FindMyPast is a standard Worldwide sub.

If you are helping someone who doesn't have a computer, it can be very useful to put a tree online, because another researcher can take over at a subsequent visit.

I must say that I work entirely electronically - the laptop goes to the record office with me. I don't know how people cope with cabinets full of paper.

I don't like either site for their implementation of an online tree. I find both very clunky when attempting to enter data when compared with the offline software I use.

The trees I have on Ancestry are those of friends and family, along with a couple of specials. One relates to the first owner of my car, and the other to the victim of a crime committed by a distant cousin in 1883. Both of those were very interesting exercises, with multiple marriages featuring heavily.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
I've just had a go with Chrome (freshly installed on a clean machine), and it worked fine downloading from Ancestry.

If it works OK using Edge, I would consider uninstalling Chrome, restarting the computer, then reinstalling Chrome again. Chrome asks whether you want to keep the settings when uninstalling, and you do.

If it fails in Edge too, then we need to look carefully at the network side. There might be a setting in your firewall software or router, or there might even be a problem with your service provider.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 May 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Still not able to export, irtried Firefox and got the same negative result. I will try to explain my procedure starting with my Familysearch tree open and exporting to Find my past

FindMyPast, select import tree> choose file

Tree. File > export =export drop down > paf 5 , change to other GEDCOM5.5> change Char set from UTF-8 to ANSEL. >export = export drop down = heading  Export GEDCOM file as.  drop down is open showing Documents, File name is shown as  *ged,,  Save as showing, GEDCOM  files (*ged)

I  change file name from *ged to Bodger2018/19 and export to Documents, and then import it to FindMyPast
 It says it is importing for about 2 mins and comes up with  This site can't be reached

Ive a feeling it is at this stage i am going wrong   (I  change file name from  *ged to Bodger2018/19)   ?       
                                 bodger

Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if you are creating a gedcom that has too much info in it. I think MartnAl  had this problem and got him to create the simplest of gedcoms and it then uploaded without any problem.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 May 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
I've found the thread - it's 4 pages but worth reading through to see if it helps you

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816730.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 May 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
It would appear that i'm not alone ?. What I forgot to  say in my previous post, when I send it from my tree to documents as Bodger2018,19 , it only takes a few seconds and then comes up with a box on the screen Heading.  "Gedcom Export, details 3707 individuals, 952 marriages exported. So from that I would think ive created a Gedcom ?
                                                               bodger

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Have you tried creating or renaming a gedcom file without the use of special characters, that is no

, . / - etc?

If not try doing so save as something like

bd200512

Keep the filename to a max of 8 characters.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
It's the "/" character which is causing you the trouble. It is used as a divider between the name of a folder and the name of something within it. In the guts of Windows, it behaves like the backslash "\".

In Unix-derived stuff, it is the normal divider. To make things easier for developers, Microsoft let them use forward-slash just like they had done in Unix rather than forcing them to change their code to MS's proprietary backslash.

It's been like that since MS-DOS 2.0 in 1983.

By the way, Ancestry and FindMyPast are usually happy with UTF-8 files.