Author Topic: Putting together a family tree on line for the first time  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Putting together a family tree on line for the first time
« on: Wednesday 06 May 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I feel a bit of a fraud and therefore slightly embarrassed coming on here, having grown long in the tooth over the last 16 wonderful years being on Rootschat.  I haven't really used any of the programmes that enable one to put together a family tree for the first time.  Not for many years.  Still a bit of a paper and pencil person.
So, what would be the considered opinion about which of the many family tree makers out there would be a good system to use.  Cost, appearance, simplicity of use would all be important factors.  Someone has just asked me for my advice, and I don't feel quite up to the task!
Many thanks,
Keith

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Putting together a family tree on line for the first time
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
I use GENI but familysearch looks good also. They are both FREE.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
I know you will get lots of suggestions Keith.  :)

I use Tribal Pages:
https://www.tribalpages.com/index.html

It is very simple, very basic and free to use.

There is a paid version as well which I think gives room for more entries (I am not sure what other benefits it gives).

I also have (a fairly old version of) Family Historian. It is a very good programme, gets very good reviews, but I find it a bit complex. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Another vote for Family Historian.......very comprehensive.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
Family Tree Maker for me.  It was the first programme I had and is fine for my needs so have stuck with it.  I would assume, if truth be told, that most people stick with the first one they try providing it does what you require.

You get used to it and find workarounds if necessary.  I am so familiar with it that I am sure it would take me a long time to get used to anything else, even if others do suggest that there is better out there.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
There are probably as many different opinions as there are software packages and online facilities.

The best advice I can offer is try as many as you can until you find the package that works the way YOU want  to work rather than altering your work methods to suit a computer.

Family Historian as mentioned before is an extremely flexible program which can be adapted to suit many uses both simple and complex. The free trial version is the full program limited over a set time period.

Some other packages offer similar trials or free versions of their programs with limited capacities

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
I use Tribal Pages:
https://www.tribalpages.com/index.html

It is very simple, very basic and free to use.

There is a paid version as well which I think gives room for more entries (I am not sure what other benefits it gives).

I also have (a fairly old version of) Family Historian. It is a very good programme, gets very good reviews, but I find it a bit complex. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Agree with Ruskie as I use (well not for a long time) but have a small tree there, Tribalpages, very simple process from start to end & very easy for others who don't actually have a tree there themselves!

Family Tree Maker for me.  It was the first programme I had and is fine for my needs so have stuck with it.  I would assume, if truth be told, that most people stick with the first one they try providing it does what you require.

Agree with Pheno for a computer programme enabling GEDCOM uploads, 1st I bought 2006 version & is ample for me i.e. I haven't upgraded, money well spent as it too is very easy to follow.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
How strange, had thought that I had already come back on this thread to thank everyone for their suggestions.  No sign of it.  So anyway, many thanks for all these!
Keith