Author Topic: Diary - Wednesday, 6 May 2020  (Read 698 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Wednesday, 6 May 2020
« on: Wednesday 06 May 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Diary:

Finished nightshift.  It is a beautifully sunny day.  I quickly pop in to M&S when I reach Newcastle for a few items before heading to the bus stand.  Thankfully, I feel much more alert on way home and so was able to enjoy the scenic route home on second bus.  :)

I had usual cereal and tea then straight to bed.

Woke up for tea time.

I see several junk mail leaflets have come through the door.  I haven't had this type of thing for a bit.  There is also a letter from the bank saying that savings interest rates are going down and a general letter from the Mayor about the Covid situation.

I had a bowl of the broccoli and cheese soup I made the other day with the stalk ingredient and a M & S crispbake in a bun and a blackcurrant and blueberry yoghurt.  Actually, the soup is really quite nice - perhaps I was just a bit prejudiced about the stalk ingredient the other day?  I don't have a drink although I would like one.  I am starting shift a bit earlier tonight and know there are no toilets en route.

Hardest part of the day is getting ready and having to confront the sight of my hair which feels like it is getting more out of control by the day. ::). I do feel quite self conscious about it.

Now I am back on my commute to nightshift and very glad that this upcoming 12 hour shift is the last in my block.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Wednesday, 6 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that you got to see the scenery today RTL, hope your shift goes well tonight.

Couldn't get to sleep last night, I think it was about 3am when I went off. Woke this morning feeling quite unhappy. It's been preying on my mind about the situation with a neighbour, she's poisoned my clematis, I don't want to go into details but I do know that's what has happened. I don't want to start a vendetta despite the fact that it's tempting to reciprocate, I'm just so upset by the state of it that I get angry every time I go into the garden and see it. Some of it is still alive, it's just coming into flower, it's been there for years, I'm so angry that she would do this.

Took me some time to rally round this morning, then I got a phone call from my friend who has been doing my shopping. She was ringing to say thanks for the thank you card I'd sent her, I just wanted to let her know how much I appreciate what she has done for me. She said it cheered her up which was great. Being limited to a printed message is frustrating as it seems so impersonal but there's no other option at the moment. Had messages from another friend with photos showing me all the plants she has that are thriving and the paintings she has done, as well as working from home. I felt a bit inadequate by comparison.

Not really sure what I did this morning, the only thing I can be certain of is that involved two large cups of tea. Went for my walk after lunch, there seemed to be quite a few people with small children today, maybe because it was a beautiful sunny day. The wind was easterly again so was a bit chilly but the sun was warm so I just put on a light jacket. Limited walk through the woods as usual, why do people think it's okay to stop for a chat on a narrow path?

Out in the garden on my return, trying to see what I could do with my clematis and the ivy that's been hacked and left in a mess. It's so frustrating that I can't go shopping for something that I can use as a block. Thinned my lettuce seedlings into whatever I could find with limited compost to plant them.

Looked at the weather forecast for the next few days, the wind is going to turn southerly and so temperatures will be higher. I decided to use the veg from yesterday and have exactly the same for tea as yesterday, just had to add some cauliflower. Not the sort of meal I'd want in hot weather but I did enjoy it again.

Just the usual evening, there isn't any other option these days.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
RTL - so glad you were able to see your country views on the way home. You must be made of strong stuff to manage catching two buses to get to work in these times and can imagine you are exhausted after a 12hr shift. Great admiration for you. 🙂

Sorry you're going through tough times Roobarb- very frustrating your neighbour is so inconsiderate towards your  plants!
I know the feeling with neighbours and plants... one of ours is, now, an elderly chap and his garden is very overgrown and trees not looked after, ivy growing up all of them and of course killing them off... he's never been much of a gardener but now it's much worse, his wife was a lovely lady but sadly died a few years ago so things have gone from bad to worse... only one of his sons visits him once a week... other one never comes now.
He's sworn at my OH over the years on many occasions and always been sent round with a bottle of wine and sorry by his wife... now we don't talk to him, which considering he's on his own I do sometimes feel uncomfortable about but then my OH reminds me that he's never done anything to help any of his neighbours out and he'll just have to put up with it... other side have put up 7ft fence all along the boundary so he's obviously upset them too! Finally the son that does come has started to clear the garden hurray!!!! It all started when one of his tree blew done in one of the winds we had and was balanced over our fence and branch of the massive ash tree he's got .... we cleared our side then son comes along fells the tree and starts clearing... we were going to put a fence up but now we'll wait and see what he does! Old chap really shouldn't be there on his own he's not safe... he ho neighbours sure we could all write books about them! Sorry shouldn't have gone on about it...

Daily Diary

Alarm went off at 7am... oh my goodness what time do you call that! Anyway up dressed and out.. no tea or breakfast... went to Lidls and was 6th in line to enter at 8am.... social distancing not marked out in the shop and some people, men mostly, pretty careless about it but got in and out in just under half an hour so not too bad...
Went to post office to send back a pair of trousers I'd bought from M & S...miles too long and a size to big... I know I've lost weight but now down to size 10!
Called in at the butchers to order meat to pick up on Saturday...
Next to the bakers... someone on a post somewhere on here had mentioned they'd got yeast from their bakers. So thought I'd ask... yes I could buy live yeast Lasts in fridge for a week and they sold me some grannery flour too, I'd found a bag of white bread flour in Lidls... OH will be delighted as he's the bread maker... perhaps not that pleased when I tell him in excitement whilst he's kreocoting the fence!!
Unpack shopping, wash, wipe down or leave in the garage..
Phone a couple of friends and have a catch up
Lunch time.. OH decided he's not going to bother with lunch .. so what did I buy two loaves of bread for...
Up to my workroom to do some more sewing on the scrubs...
Off to do c &c from Waitrose then home and more shopping sorting out...
Sat outside with a cuppa,  beautiful day blue sky sun shining....
but need to get on with sewing so back upstairs to do some more...
Dinner time gammon and salad today
Watch some tv.. the repair shop and sewing bee...
Still knitting
Now off to bed for a read... it seems to have been a long day with such an early start... might have a lay in tomorrow....

Take care all, keep well

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Good to hear everyone's news - RTL soon onto a new shift block, a larder full of supplies at Caroline's and Roo keeping an eagle eye on her garden!  My friend's Irish father's advice is that 'good fences make good neighbours'.  Please don't get me started on mine  ::)  Oh, and RTL on the note about hair!  'Covid colour' and  'Lockdown locks' are phrases I'm using at the moment. 

Diary entry for Wednesday:  Glorious sunshine again! Usual start and a bee-line for the park.  I really do feel better up and out.  Mainly Dad's with small children today, but really small youngsters.  There is a chap I often see and today he is rigging up some special 'cabling' which he attaches to two trees and then sort of walks on and balances like a high wire act.  As I say I've clocked he before now and I've always been concerned about how this will affect the trees with him prancing about.  But, the group who oversee the park don't seem to mind and suggest there is never any damage to the trees.  However, today I noticed him setting up his rigging at the bottom end of the park and then as I'm marching up the hill I noticed a very, very small tot  (maybe 1 year ish and barely able to balance...) wandering up the path on their own with a stick in their hand. The 'mum' in me sees instant danger.  Matey is quite far away and obviously keen to be doing his own thing.  I had to have a good look round because I couldn't believe anyone would let such a small tot toddle around like that.  The was another woman and small child around so I had to call our 'Whose baby is this'  ...the acrobat answers it's his.   :-X  At least he's now looking at where the tot is!  I carry on annoyed.  The rest of the walk is uneventful.  Sunny, slight breeze, blue skies.

I'm not sure what I did when I got home the day just seemed to seep away.  I made another batch of vegetable soup.  Spoke to my Auntie with whom I never agree on the phone.  She was extolling the virtues of Matt Hancock today, my least favourite of ministers at the moment.  I also got some pasta sauce on the go for tonight's tea. Spent sometime on a little research project.

Easy evening - watched the Sewing Bee and News.

And just what for tomorrow?

Stay safe!
CD

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 20 05:08 BST (UK) »
Explainer today in NZ about what we will be able to do in Level 2 which we are all hoping will be next Wednesday.   Haircuts ;D

So some wag posted this

“ We need a national database of everyone's lockdown hair to prioritise who gets a haircut first. Reallocate the resources going to the contact tracing app if necessary”

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
A sunny and warm Wednesday so got washing hanging out because rain forecast for Thursday.

Wee one managed to do a few school exercises and wrote a story about a magic cat.  The older one got a few of her marks back, all good. 

As well as house work I did a bit of work on laying out the family tree as I plan to get a book togetther on my daughter's family tree before her 16th birthday.  I predict it will take me a while so will need to start now to have any chance of getting it finished.

Had bad news about a colleague being bereaved but my collagues are a wonderful team they have rallied round to support her.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Caroline, no worries about going on about your neighbour, it helps to know I'm not alone and I'm glad it seems to be being resolved. I'm sorry to say that my neighbour isn't being inconsiderate, she's being spiteful, it's obvious to me that the poisoning of my clematis has been deliberate. She also cut the top off my willow trellis that was protruding a couple of inches above the fence. Sheer vandalism.

CD, there seems to be so many thoughtless people out exercising, unless it's just the situation that's making us more sensitive to them. Every day I go for my walk hoping that it's the day when I don't encounter someone like that.

Mckha489, sounds like a good use of the app!

pharmaT, other than the sad news about your colleague it sounds like you had a better day, that's good.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales