Author Topic: James Crumlish 1828-1882 County Tyrone  (Read 742 times)

Offline tlsewell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Crumlish 1828-1882 County Tyrone
« on: Wednesday 06 May 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
I am new to overseas searches and I need some advice.
I am looking for an ancestor James Crumlish 1828-1882 He emigrated from Liverpool, headed for Baltimore, Maryland in September of 1851 on the Scotia. He is listed without other family on the passenger list and he is listed as a Laboror. Later, he was a shoemaker, but, I believe he apprenticed in the US. His US census records list him as Irish and his obituary lists him from County Tyrone. James married first and Irish woman and then a German (both in the US). I do not know what this says about his religion. So, I have no parish. I do not know his his parents and only the year of birth. His children were in order: Ella, John Thomas and Joseph.
From reading other previous posts, I have checked the Griffith’s Valuation and found what others said, four listings for Crumlish with one in Tyrone (William).  Where do I go from here?
t.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Crumlish 1828-1882 County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
His second wife is buried in a Quaker cemetery according to her obit.  Where is James buried?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Only a small number of people named Crumlish in the 1901 census for Tyrone. All Roman Catholic.
Elwyn

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment Books show:

1. James Crumlish at 'Farughmore' in Donacavey (1827) - likely the townland of Freughmore:

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/clogher/donacavey/freughmore/

2. William T. Crumlish at Lisnawery in Errigal Keerogue (1832):

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/clogher/errigal-keerogue/lisnawery/

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
I would bet on Catholic.  The Archdiocese of Baltimore should be able to provide church records for at least the first marriage and likely baptism of daughter Ellen, which may provide more info.

Offline tlsewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 20 00:45 BST (UK) »
EileenWilson, I have never found the burial for James Crumlish or his wife Lottie/Lethisa Donahoo or his mother in law, Mary. They are not in either of the local Catholic cemeteries, though the person I believe to be his sister in law is in St Johns Catholic cemetery. The other local cemetery does not have any of its old burial records, so I assume lots of my missing relatives are there. I did not think to go to the archdiocese in Baltimore. I have the dates of both marriages licenses from the state register.  I did not ever think to look for a religeous register or an actual paper license.  Thanks

Offline tlsewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
I asked Chris Smithson about marriage licenses and was told that only "The 1868 marriage would be a certificate with license on front and marriage on back if it was recorded in Harford County.  It should have age, race, location and marital status. Each county clerk is different back then." However, no family data. Further, "How the marriage records were recorded was up to the Clerk of the Court for the civil record. If they were Catholic, there may not be a license
as they could have done marriage by banns." I found civil registrations for both the 1857 and 1868 marriages.
I also looked at the Tithe Applotment Book and I believe I need some clarification as to who is actually being listed. The persons in the book are those who lease property from the Church of Ireland for farming. So townsfolk, landowners and their renters are not listed. Is that correct?
Thanks

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:16 BST (UK) »

... I also looked at the Tithe Applotment Book and I believe I need some clarification as to who is actually being listed. The persons in the book are those who lease property from the Church of Ireland for farming. So townsfolk, landowners and their renters are not listed. Is that correct?
Thanks

The Tithe Applotment Books should show all rural occupiers (regardless of religion) of agricultural holdings over one acre. The 'Church of Ireland' association is that as the established church, it was the recipient of money paid in tithes.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 May 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
If they were married in a Catholic Church, there will be an entry in the church records, above and beyond what you find in the county records.