Author Topic: India: Birth and marriage of Elsie Solan or Solon - surname unknown!  (Read 1119 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
India: Birth and marriage of Elsie Solan or Solon - surname unknown!
« on: Thursday 07 May 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hope someone could help with this request?

I have Leslie David Jones, birth registered in Brentford, England on 20 Sep 1922, married to Mrs Elsie S Jones.  I have found him in various passenger records, with his wife (earliest I've found is 1957) plus their landing card info from a flight to the USA in 1961, where they appeared to have settled in Washington.  I also have his second marriage 26 April 1974, application for naturalisation later in 1974, and his death in Washington, USA on 4 Jan 1987.

I have found Mrs Elsie Jones death in Washington too, 28 July 1973.

From these records I know she was born on 24 Dec 1924 in Calcutta, India.  The landing card is the one of two records with her name of Solon on it, plus some initials that look like G. O.  I've attached that card. The other record shows Elsie Solan Jones from the Find a Grave index.

I have Leslie David Jones birth, parents, sister etc, but it is his wife's birth and their marriage that I can't find. I'm thinking they married abroad, not necessarily in India, as he seems to have travelled/worked abroad extensively.

I can't find them in the 1939 UK register, but his grandmother (Ellen Capps) is living at the address given in various passenger records ie 4 Mount Pleasant Road, Romford, Essex.

On passenger records (UK from Cape Town, UK from Hong Kong) they state intention to stay in the UK for less than 12 months.

It would be interesting to find out her maiden name and her marriage date/place if at all possible. 

Any suggestions please of where to look?

Thanks.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: India: Birth and marriage of Elsie Solan or Solon - surname unknown!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that you have the right death for Elsie

Deaths Mar qtr 1971 
Elsie Soltan Jones   
(Born 13 Feb 1893)   
W.Glamorgan    8b   4037

ADDED

Sorry I got confused with the date of birth of David, I took it as his marriage to Elsie S Jones.
Maybe that Elsie fits in somewhere
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99 but no Welsh connections that I know of for this Jones family.  The records show she definitely went to the USA and also died there.

Is Solan/Solon/Soltan a Welsh name by any chance, and does it appear quite often?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
There's a passenger record showing her arriving in London from Mombasa in February 1958, on a Chinese passport, having resided in Hong Kong.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1518/30807_A001399-00141/1315798
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
It appears her maiden name was Fok :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VWJ-J79

There is a picture of the stone if you follow the link to billiongraves.com
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ - I had that passenger record where she is also recorded on the previous page with a Hong Kong passport, which is probably why the next entry is crossed out.  This is the same passage that her husband made, but he is listed in the Cabin/Mombasa section.  She is under Mombasa. Both noted as IT (in transit).

Odd that they weren't listed together, although perhaps the passengers were grouped according to passport? 

Or, given that her maiden name was Fok (thanks Christine53 - I didn't look further once I found her death record on Ancestry - should have known to look elsewhere too!), would this have been British imperialism, if she was of Chinese heritage.  I've just looked the surname up and it's the Cantonese pronunciation of the surname Huo.

Intriguing.

Wonder if they married in Hong Kong?

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 July 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
Interesting this FOK name. I have it in my family too. So, the Chinese character for FOK is: 霍 which is Huò and when pronounced in Chinese, sounds a lot like FOK. So the translation is really of the "sound" of the character! Confused? :)

Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 July 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
 I'm on so many pages looking for info, but someone recently posted that the name FOK is actually
 霍Huò. The FOK it seems, is just a close English word for the sound of that character. I'm catching on now. My great uncle appears to have had the same Chinese family name. I'm learning that Chinese names didn't necessarily mean a person was Chinese, nor did a British name mean they were not. There were reasons for it all. How the names were selected, either way, is still a mystery!
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 July 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
I know that today, many Hong Kong youngsters, and Singaporeans, with Chinese ethnicity have English given names (these are not nicknames) and Chinese family names.
Crook, Bannister, Warren