Author Topic: India: Birth and marriage of Elsie Solan or Solon - surname unknown!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: India: Birth and marriage of Elsie Solan or Solon - surname unknown!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 July 20 02:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, today the use of English or American style names is quite common all over Asia But back in the day there were different reasons. Regardless of what those reasons were they were deemed necessary or useful. Both Asians and Europeans made use of aliases as each could open doors or make life easier. In the case of mixed races it became even more confusing but still there were legitimate reasons behind it all. The more I study the subject the more difficult it is to explain! The name Fok is of particular interest.  I wonder how it entered in your case?
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
It is intriguing, and if I could find a birth record for Calcutta that would help.  Also I don't know where they would have married.  I guess Leslie David Jones served in WW2 and was either posted to India or Hong Kong, or both, and they married in one of those countries.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 20 20:36 BST (UK) »
How did she end up in Ferndale Washington?

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
On a plane  ;D  Sorry, too tempting. 

If you take a look back at my original post and other answers, you'll know as much as I do, which is not very much. 

Actually there is one more thing. Her husband's landing card in 1961 had these details:Flight PA101 from London.  US Address: Plaza Hotel, Highway, Hamilton, Ohio.
Permanent address: c/o Black-Clawson Inc, Hamilton, Ohio.

I've yet to look into that company, but he was an engineer and I guess this was his new employer, or perhaps it was the HQ for an existing employer who he'd worked for in Hong Kong and elsewhere.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
Funny!  :D I see there's a couple of more Elsie Jones in Ferndale...older ones, but coincidence.