Author Topic: Diary - Thursday 7 May 2020  (Read 777 times)

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 7 May 2020
« on: Thursday 07 May 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
The Thursday diary!  Awoken by a very loud sneeze in my ear.  I thought it was Mr CD, but it was the cat sounding very human indeed!  Another bright , sunny morning.  I really felt quite good.

The usual routine again this morning....park full of 'exercisers' today and very loud birdsong.  Some days I'm just not so aware of it, but this morning  very loud or maybe just happy birds or even more birds than normal?  Other days I see a profusion of squirrels but not so many today.

Back at the house, a bit of a general tidy round, answered some emails, then went outside to have some lunch in the sunshine.  I was greeted by a friendly 'hello' from the window cleaner,  :-\, so  sadly had to decamp inside whilst he went about his cleaning.

A magnificent delivery today! Some weeks ago Mr CD broke his racing bicycle.  It was pretty old but according to His Nibs 'great quality'.  However he came off it some weeks ago and bent the wheel  so badly it could not be repaired.  Being so old he could not replace the wheel and he even eyed up my bicycle to cannibalise it for parts!  Unfortunately  ::).... this was not possible. Anyway he ordered a smart new bike online and we have all been awaiting the delivery.  It caused us much amusement the other day when a very small light weight box was delivered from the bike company and inside was just a water bottle!  We all wondered where the rest of it was.  Anyway, sounds like it is a great success and he is pleased as punch. At least someone is happy.

Not much else to report.  I reorganised my shoes and nicks drawer. Huzzah.  Baked spuds for tea, because quite frankly I'm devoid of dinner ideas at this stage.  Quite depressed after the 5:00 propaganda team were on, and of course on hearing Nicola Sturgeon's message.

This evening also heard of the death of a friend's sister of CV19.  She wasn't particularly old but did have underlying health problems.

Participated in 'the clap'.

What news from everyone else?

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 7 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
Absolutely gorgeous day here, much warmer and sunny.

Yesterday I'd realised that the minced beef I'd had delivered in my supermarket order had an expiry date of precisely one day, which meant that instead of cooking a spag bol today I'd had to hastily bung it in the slow cooker at tea time yesterday. This morning I portioned it and put it in the freezer, keeping a portion in the fridge for tomorrow. Froze the pieces of leftover chicken so I can just put it in a sauce when I'm ready.

Had lunch then went for my walk in a short sleeved tshirt, no jacket needed. It was very warm and not as easy to keep my walking at such a fast pace as usual. Came back home and after changing into shorts and strappy tshirt, took my Kindle and an apple out into the garden to enjoy the sunshine. Did some gardening too, the plants are growing well, apart of course from the clematis. Had a look at the website for my local garden centre, it said that they offer a pick up and delivery service but also that it's best to look on their Facebook page to see updates as to what is available and to order through Facebook or email. Well I won't be doing that, I hate the way the whole world has to revolve around Facebook, I don't want to use it and have no intention of doing so.

Had salmon for tea with Jersey potatoes, peas and tomatoes, I really enjoyed it. Fish is my favourite food and I regularly buy salmon in normal times but while my friend has been shopping for me it's been easier to ask for frozen breaded fish as there are more portions.

On the doorstep to clap at 8pm, lots of neighbours out again, a number have flags flying for tomorrow, if I had one I'd fly it too.

Watched the Sewing Bee, it's time that presenter learned that it's about the sewer, not about him and his antics.

That's it for another day, stay well everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
Just realised I sound really narky all through my post, sorry about that.  :-[
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 20 01:22 BST (UK) »
CD - hope your OH enjoys his new bike! All birdlife at the moment seems to sound extra loud... is that because there's less other noise going on or that as we're all more confined to our immediate surrounding we are noticing it more... what ever it is they sound a real treat.

Roobarb - your day sounds just the sort of day to enjoy relaxing in the sun with a good book! FYI I don't think you sounded 'narky' in your post... depends how you read it!

My days diary

Woke quite early had a read, got up before OH today and did the usual empty dishwasher, chop up fruit and have breakfast....
sat and read for quite a while as it's hard to put a good book down...
Intended to do some house cleaning but thought it'll still be there tomorrow and there's no rush no one else setting foot over the doorstep...
Read emails message from a friend they'd been burgled and had a trailer stolen and the farm had had their barns broken into... both have cctv but apparently intruders didn't seemed bothered... apparently they come over the field ( where we take our walk) not sure how they managed to get a trailer away....
bit unsettling though... must be mad when you think everyone's at home... not going out at night if course... cheeky so and so's!
Sadly friends mum died of covid19 and funeral was on Monday... she never got to see her mum as they'd been in Florida when she was taken ill and had to quarantine for the 14 days on return... very distressing for her and her dad who has also been in hospital with fractured hip and she not seen him either until funeral... from a distance though... both in late 90's.
Had lunch sitting outside in the sunshine...
Friend phoned she works at Gatwick airport, said they were having flights in from Germany, Ireland and China... 5 flights in the day, 300 ships crew repatriated too....
spent afternoon in my work room finishing the 4 scrubs tops and one pair of trousers, quite pleased with them...
Didn't listen to today's briefing.... can't face any more at the moment...
Dinner.. OH BBQ lamb leg steaks and we had salad..
Went out to clap at 8pm.
Started to watch a film we'd recorded... Hidden Figures... true story of three coloured women who were involved in 1960-62 at NASSA and first space flights...
Son decided to message us to say he was up early did we want to chat.... nice to hear from him first... had nice long FaceTime with him... unusual for it to be his morning... their cat kept walking in front of the screen and looking at us! Daft thing, she's a big fluffy tortoise shell rescue cat ... they transported her and her sister ( now sadly departed) from NZ when they moved! He was saying that this w/e people can get together in small groups... it's Mothering Sunday so that's probably why!
They've both downloaded the app for track & trace being rolled out in Aus.
Watched rest of film and off to bed...

Village holding various social distancing event for VE Day tomorrow not sure if we'll get involved or not... sadly our good close friends all live up the lane behind us so no tea in the front garden or drinks after dinner with being unable to see any of them!

That's it for now... another day drifts past.
Stay safe all

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Just catching up ..

Diary

Finished nightshift.  Both buses home came on time and I enjoyed scenic view home on second bus.

Dentist receptionist rang whilst I was having breakfast and said unfortunately they were having to cancel my dental check up at the end of May.  I said I had assumed this already.  Receptionist said they could offer me another appointment in July or August.  I said I have no idea what my shifts might be that far ahead but agreed to have a provisional appointment made that I might be cancel and rearrange if necessary.  I must say, the cancellation of my dental appointment feels like no great disappointment but rather like a silver lining in a cloud.

I went to bed with a headache.  I think this might be due to overtiredness and dehydration and I think my drink at breakfast and a sleep will sort things out.

When I wake up, as anticipated my headache has gone and I have my tea.  I look at my phone and see that I have a NHS-no reply text letting me know if I meet the criteria of certain symptoms I might be eligible to take part in a treatment trial for covid and if so to contact my own surgery to find out more.

At 8 pm I went out to clap with others in my street. Unfortunately, this week some people are letting off fireworks which sends the birds fleeing at speed across the sky in likely terror.  The fireworks include the pretty coloured sparkly ones and the great booming explosive types that sound like bombs going off.  I am sad that some people are still doing this.  You would have thought the message would have trickled through by now that this type of thing frightens animals and birds.  Or do they just not care, I wonder.  Some other sounds come from bells (which I think is nice), pan banging, car hooting and cheering.

I end the night by starting on a new book which a colleague has let me borrow.   Into first few pages I find that I have warmed to the main character already and can tell that I am really going to enjoy reading this book.  It is called 'Domesday Book' by Connie Willis and it is about time travel to medieval times.  Due to an accident the main character lands in the time of the Black plague rather than a safer period and others back in the time she left are laid low by a 'mysterious strain of influenza' and so no one is willing to risk arranging her rescue.  Quite resonant for these times, I think.  I check to see when this book was published and it was 1992.  It does feel a bit startling that the author seems to have had a little bit of a premonition of what is now going on!!  I think it is quite interesting to read in this book about how much detailed preparation has to be done in advance of being able to time travel.  I know this is just an imaginary concept but I have tended to think of time travellers as just spectators like people visiting a museum.  However, the author shows that this would  not be so at all.  The protagonist in this story has to grow her hair long, learn languages of the time and specific skills such as being able to milk a cow, ride a horse  use a spindle, embroider and the use of medicinal herbs etc along with the creation of a convincing cover story.

I settled down to sleep at proper bedtime feeling quite peaceful and happily contented.    I have two days off to look forward to and a  book with a very exciting plot to read and I am very much looking forward to what Boris might have to say about the easing of the lockdown next week.  Happy Days!!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 May 20 08:33 BST (UK) »
A day of multi tasking.  Working on writing a training exercise in connection with a charity I do work with along with home schooling, housework and cooking. 

Against my better judgement the girls talked me into a walk.  Like the last time when I vowed never to do it again nobody else attempted to social distance.  I carefully chose the route so that there would always be room to pass wide if we came across other people.  Yet again people veered towards us instead of going to the opposite side of the path (it was wide enough, they didn't have to go out of their way).  So I have vowed yet again to stop going for walks, I hope i don't give into pester power this time.  We did find some nice butterflies while waiting for a group of families to stop playing football, blocking the path though and when we got home we looked them up to see what they were called.

Made vegetarian chilli for dinner.  Was going to make wraps to go with it but was too lazy and just served it with rice.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others