Author Topic: Wales to ease Lockdown rules  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wales to ease Lockdown rules
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think that Johnson's announcement Sunday will be very similar and anyone who has believed the tabloids is going to be disappointed. Looking at the headlines in those papers they made it sound as if he was going to lift the restrictions completely. Very irresponsible.

And the government was accused of giving mixed messages! They hadn't said anything at that point, apart from there would be an announcement on Sunday. The "mixed messages" were all coming from the different newspapers. 

We certainly should have quarantined people coming into UK from the virus hotspots even as early as late February. Many countries did. Instead they were advised to self-isolate. And we know how many people take any notice of government "advice". You only have to look at figures on numbers of fines for lockdown breaches - and they're only the ones caught.
Even using the words "advice" and "guidelines" makes some people think it's optional.

The government banned flights from certain countries early on everyone else was supposed to observe the standard lockdown rules like the rest of us were supposed to be doing.

The experts advice was that was all that was required due to the high rate of infection in the country at the time.

I think on the whole the government have done a good job, yes there have been a few things that could have been done better but that is always the case.
You can't blame the government when China sends aprons instead of gowns, you can't blame the government when Turkey supplies PPE that is not up to the standard ordered.
Errors happen, my wife ordered some walking boots in early April when they finally got here in May the parcel was pushed through the letterbox, walking boots?
No a pair of shorts, yet the shipping note clearly stated it was for walking boots.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
#2  -  The leaders of the three devolved Governments and the Westminster Government have been consulting on a way out of lockdown. All have been involved in Cobra meetings.

I think the biggest problem is that Scotland is approximately 2 weeks behind the other Nations of the United Kingdom with this virus. Rightly so Nicola Sturgeon is doing what she thinks is in the best interests of Scotland and will not be pressurised by anyone into making decisions that will be detrimental to the Scottish Nation.

Obviously, we need all four Governments which make up the UK to do the same thing at the same time but that means waiting until each one reaches the same level of infections, deaths etc.

Dorrie
So why can they not thrash out a common policy?. There will always be differences in infection and death rates. I don't expect the leaders of the devolved nations to be pressurised into anything but, surely to God, they can proceed in unison without pandering to, in the case of Sturgeon, the nationalist element and in Drakeford's case, his voters, together with their combined dislike of Johnson. Neither do I expect Johnson to be running the show. I don't really know about Foster.
We need an agreed uniform approach because, as it is, the idiots out there are risking their lives, because of different decisions on this that and the other.
Even experienced political journalists get it wrong. I was looking at one tabloid this AM and I read, according to an experienced political journo, that Wales was opening libraries and recycling centre from Monday as well as garden centres. No we are not. Drakeford said he would be asking for plans to be made for opening these at a point, as yet unidentified. Simples!.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »

I think on the whole the government have done a good job, yes there have been a few things that could have been done better but that is always the case.

Guy

So the death of over 30.000 people (probably nearer 50,000 according to some statistics) is doing a good job? I hate to think what it would be if they were doing a bad one then!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
As a Scot I do not like your tone regarding our First Minister Llwyd. Although she is a Nationalist she is putting the whole population of Scotland first irrespective of personal politics. I listen to her update at 12.30 every day on BBC Scotland and I have yet to hear her mention anything about her party's politics. It is the health of our Nation that she is concerned about if we come out of lockdown too quickly.

As for the Welsh gentleman I do not know enough about him to voice an opinion on his handling of the crisis.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
If Nicola Surgeon is a nationalist, what do you think Boris Johnson is apart from a balloon?

Skoosh.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:01 BST (UK) »

Guy

So the death of over 30.000 people (probably nearer 50,000 according to some statistics) is doing a good job? I hate to think what it would be if they were doing a bad one then!

That is a very naive remark look at the figures

France 66.99 pop. deaths per million 401.85
UK 66.65 pop. deaths per million 460.2
Italy 60.36 pop. deaths per million 499.5
Spain 46.94 pop. deaths per million 561.46

The UK could have suffered a lot worse, and the above figures do not take everything into account.

Sadley
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:08 BST (UK) »

Guy

If we're talking about naive remarks the above might be considered for inclusion in the honours list.  Here's the beginning of the British dealings with the coronavirus pandemic, all fact-checked.  There is more but I don't want to bore you.  Is this what you consider to be 'a good job'?

December 31st China alerts WHO to new virus.
January 23rd Study reveals a third of China’s patients require intensive care.
January 24th Boris Johnson misses first Cobra meeting.
January 29th Boris Johnson misses second Cobra meeting.
January 31st The NHS declares first ever ‘Level 4 critical incident’ Meanwhile, the government declines to join European scheme to source PPE.
February 5th Boris Johnson misses third Cobra meeting.
February 12th Boris Johnson misses fourth Cobra meeting. Exeter University published study warning Coronavirus could infect 45 million people in the UK if left unchallenged.
February 13th Boris Johnson misses conference call with European leaders.
February 14th Boris Johnson goes away on holiday. Aides are told keeps Johnson’s briefing notes short or he will not read them.
February 18th Johnson misses fifth cobra meeting.
February 26th Boris Johnson announces ‘Herd Immunity’ strategy, announcing some people will lose loved ones. Government document is leaked, predicting half a million Brits could die in ‘worse case scenario’
February 29th Boris Johnson retreats to his country manor. NHS warns of ‘PPE shortage nightmare’ Stockpiles have dwindled or expired after years of austerity cuts.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Depends where you look, according to this site we are still 4th!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
As a Scot I do not like your tone regarding our First Minister Llwyd.

Dorrie

I'm sure you won't like the tone of this either, but no-one has the right not to be offended. I am however, as you are, entitled to express an opinion and if you, or anyone else, disagree with it or doesn't like it, that is not my concern or problem, but carry on. By the way, I am not, in the slightest, offended that you don't like my tone.
If Nicola Surgeon is a nationalist, what do you think Boris Johnson is apart from a balloon?

Skoosh.

I know a trick question when I see one and, anyway, I think you know the answer!.

I have no more to say on the matter.

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".