Author Topic: Albert Lambe - Cookstown, Tyrone  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Lambe - Cookstown, Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 May 20 20:24 BST (UK) »

Can I ask where you found this detail, please?

Marriage    Albert Lamb & Elizabeth Bell       5th April 1941     Cookstown
See https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk (subscription site)

You can view the original marriage record on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option.
You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to view a record.

You will be able to access the following records:

• birth records over 100 years old
• marriage records over 75 years old
• death records (including World War II death records) over 50 years old

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:10 BST (UK) »

... Now I am confused as to how he was Lambe and my father became Lambe ...

Just picking up on this point (the other points having been answered), I wouldn't read too much into this, other than to note that both spellings may have been used for this man over the course of time, this 'looseness' over surname spelling that we might regard as unusual today, was far from unusual in former times.

The witnesses to that 1941 marriage were Maggie Bell and Nathan Cahoon, the latter was from a prominent family in the area at that time, but he may simply have been someone that Albert befriended.   

Just to note, for no other reason than a match on name, that an Albert William Lambe attested for service in the Royal Regiment of Artillery in 1940 (Reg. no 1597633) - I have no other detail on this and it may simply be an unrelated co-incidence.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:40 BST (UK) »
Just to note, for no other reason than a match on name, that an Albert William Lambe attested for service in the Royal Regiment of Artillery in 1940 (Reg. no 1597633) - I have no other detail on this and it may simply be an unrelated co-incidence.

This man was discharged under Kings Regulations Para 390 XVI (ceasing to fulfil Army physical requirements) 5 Jan 1942.  Surname is Lamb on the register.

Making some assumptions about him being early 20’s when he enlisted/married, and the lack of a father on the marriage certificate, there is this apparently illegitimate birth registered in 19198:

LAMB, ALBERT WILLIAM (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1918  D Quarter in WORCESTER  Volume 6C  Page 164

An Albert William Lamb DoB 2 Nov 1918 died in 1985 in Worcester:

LAMB, ALBERT WILLIAM GRO Reference: DOR Q4/1985 in WORCESTER  (5271B) Volume 29 Page 881
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
The Albert William born 2 November 1918 is at home with his parents William & Edith in Worcester in the 1939 Register.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:51 BST (UK) »
The Albert William born 2 November 1918 is at home with his parents William & Edith in Worcester in the 1939 Register.

I don't think William & Edith are his parents.  William is born 1876 and is a widower.  Edith is born 1898 and is single so may be Albert's mother, and William's daughter.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
You're right ... I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 May 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
1901 at 22, Park Butts, Kidderminster
William Lamb 25 Ag Lab born Ombersley, Worcs
Annie wife 29
William son 4
Edith daur 3
Florence daur 6 months

In 1911 Edith is Edith Mary and is with the family at Astley Stourport, Astley, Worcs.  Annie is Annie Miria (sic).  Additional children are Ellen 6, Elsie 3 and Lizzie 3m

Offline willzwazhere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 May 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
I am in awe of all this. I just can't believe this. Thank you so much, guys, for finding all of this. I wish I did this sooner and would have been able to tell my father before he passed away last year. So based on reading your findings, correct me if I am wrong, please -

Albert William Lambe was born in 1918
He registered in the Army in 1940 but was discharged in 1942 due to failing physical tests
He got married in 1941 to my grandmother
I was told at some point, he left my grandmother and the kids to go back to the army but based on the above that wouldn't have been the case, as was discharged. Is there a chance he could have re-joined or is it more chance that he actually just went back to England and we don't know what he did after that until his death in 1985? So he may have remarried, had more kids etc?
William lamb was Albert Lamb's grandfather, Annie was his grandmother.
Edith Mary was his mother with an unknown father
William lamb and Annie had more kids, other than Edith, who were William, Florence, Ellen Elsie and Lizzie
Annie may have died between 1911 and 1939

I believe this is everything I have picked up from it.

Now I did find the following which could be a completely different family as the date of births don't match and would mean Edith was William's Wife. Probably a different family as it doesn't match with above.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/207096859/edith-mary-lamb

Thanks again, guys. Let me know if I have got everything correct so far, please.

Will

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 May 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
It's a working theory, not a certainty.

The birth certificates of his children in Ireland may provide more information.