Author Topic: St Brigid's Primary School, Armagh mid 19th Century  (Read 544 times)

Offline MacMahuna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Brigid's Primary School, Armagh mid 19th Century
« on: Friday 08 May 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I was reading today that information regarding schools and their pupils might be available on Pronis ecatalogue
As my McMahon family lived in Crossmaglen I thought perhaps they might have attended St Brigid's school but have been unable to access anything.
Am I expecting too much?
Kind regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Brigid's Primary School, Armagh mid 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
What sort of information were you expecting to find? The e-catalogue mainly says what in in PRONI's archives but most of that will not be available online.
There are 2 types of school records- those records which pertain to the building, it's teachers, inspections, etc. and those records which pertain to individual pupils. It's likely the registers for enrolment & attendance that would be of interest to you.
The details from the registers may or may not give you all the information you are looking for. Details included are- name of pupil, date of enrolment, number in register, age in years or date of birth (depending on period), residence (townland or perhaps in towns a street address, religion, father's occupation (not name). Often you will get date of leaving, school transferred to or from.
Once PRONI opens, etc. you may be able to follow up further.
The first thing to do is to check if PRONI have registers covering the period of interest (not all registers have been deposited in PRONI- some are in local custody and others lost).
Is the school still in existence? if so, they may have information. Is there a Facebook page for the school or even Crossmaglen. Someone might have old school photos, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MacMahuna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Brigid's Primary School, Armagh mid 19th Century
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Yes, St Brigid's is still there. I will contact them when school restarts