Author Topic: Mary Dalgleish Scott  (Read 1433 times)

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Dalgleish Scott
« on: Friday 08 May 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Dalgleish Scott was born in Tundergarth, Dumfries, Scotland in 1806.
Baptism record.
Name Mary Dalgleish Scott
Gender Female
Baptism Date17 Mar 1806
Baptism Place Tundergarth, Dumfries, Scotland
Father James Scott
FHL Film Number1067971

I have also found a baptism for a William Scott in Tundergarth in 1810.

I cannot find a  mother for Mary. There are trees online which state that her mother was called Jane Brown but none of these trees actually show a source.
A James Scott did marry a Jane Brown in Langholm, Dumfries in 1804 and they had a son John born in Langholm in 1804.
Can anyone please help me connect Mary Dalgleish Scott to James Scott and Jane Brown?

I have found two possible fathers for Mary both born abt 1780.
James Scott grocer in Annan in 1841, 1851 and 1861
ED:   3
Page:   11
Household schedule number:46
Line:   13
Roll:   CSSCT1851_205

If this is the correct James he is now married to his second wife but what gives me doubts is that they have a young daughter called Mary Agnes who was born in 1844. Would a father have two daughters with the same name if they had two different mothers?

The other is a farmer called James Scott from Dunscore.
ED:   5
Page:   6
Household schedule number:19
Line:   9
Roll:   CSSCT1851_206

I am at a total loss of how I can connect either of these families to Mary Dalgleish Scott.
I really hope I am lucky and someone on these boards is related to Mary and can help me with imformation.

Thank you!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Dalgleish Scott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Dalgleish Scott marry, and if so whom did she marry and when, and did she die in Scotland after 1855?

Because if she died in Scotland after 1855 her death will be indexed by both her maiden surname and her husband's surname, and the death certificate should tell you the full names of both her parents including her mother's maiden surname.

Also, have you looked at the original baptism, and that of William Scott in 1810. Do they say what James Scott's occupation was, and where he lived? Are any witnesses named who might give a clue to the family?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your advice Forfarian.
Mary moved to Sunderland, Durham where she married James Davie. I have been unable to find a marriage in either Scotland or Sunderland. She had a daughter Jane Scott who was born abt 1832 in Scotland before she married James.

On the original baptism for William in 1810 James is living at Priestbutts but I cannot make out where he was living on the record for Mary... it looks like Crawth-wait?

:)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, that doesn't sound very encouraging.

To be honest I am not sure what else to suggest at the moment.

Are there any clues in the census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
I can't find any clues in the census records. I have been trying to send you a picture of baptism record of Mary to see if you could help decipher the writing but seem unable to do so.
 ::)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Nothing firm. Just some bits to add to your 'possible' notes really!

You mention the marriage between a James Scott and Jean Brown as being in 1804. If the same couple, it could be that the name of Margaret Dalgleish could belong to maternal grandmother (following Scottish naming pattern).

There is a marriage for an Alexander Scott and a Margaret Dalgleish in 1768 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTGQ-SXC

I can't see any children for them as a couple, but there are 3 entries showing on the index on Scotlands People for Brown children with only father named, Alexander Brown, in Dumfries between 1777-87.

Can't easily find anything further this couple that could help further here for now  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 May 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Preistbutts and Crawthwaite can both be found on Tundergarth map
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74426675
hmcc

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
Erin, is the OPR for Margaret mistranscribed on the SP index? It shows as Mary on the index.

There is another Tundergrath born Scott. Not showing on SP. A James Scott born c. 1808 in Tundergrath. Shows in the censuses up to 1851 at least and then heads off with his family to Canada.
His death details here www.findagrave.com/memorial/203199194

He is living with his family at Bankshill, Tundergrath in 1851. A master joiner by occupation.

James Scott 42 Joiner Master Employing 2 Man b. Tundergrath
Helen Scott 37
Jane Scott 16
John Scott 13
Isabella Scott 11
Robert Scott 8
Agnes Scott 5
Betsy Scott 11 Months
Robert Maxwell 17
Fergus Baird 20

Don't think it helps much at this time with the origins of Margaret. There are at least 5 other men fathering children around the same time in Tundergrath.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica. I have looked at this couple but I am slightly put off because neither the name Margaret or Alexander appear in the tree of Mary Dalgleish Scott's descendant's although the name's James, Mary, Scott and Davie appear many times amongst the descendant's of her daughter Jane.
I had found nine children born to Alexander Brown in Dumfries between 1768 and 1787 but none of them were called Jane or Jean. I will take another look at this couple though.  :)

Thank you hmcc.... I had found Preistbutts but not Crawthwaite.   :)