Author Topic: Diary > Friday 8th May  (Read 776 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 8th May
« on: Friday 08 May 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
Felt dreadful today.  :'(

Woke myself up coughing at 4am and a couple of times after that. I think it must be either the pollen or the dust from the dead bits of ivy I was pulling off the fence yesterday. Either way it wasn't pleasant and I got up this morning feeling exhausted. Added to that I've had an upset stomach all day, not something I suffer from much, I can only put it down to the salmon I ate and enjoyed so much yesterday. I bought three packets of it so the rest of it that's in the freezer is unfortunately going to have to go in the bin, daren't risk using it.

Didn't feel up to going for my walk and couldn't face any lunch, I eventually had some soup at about 1.45. Only did the essential things around the house and mid afternoon I went and laid on the bed and dozed for a while, I only ever do that if I'm unwell. Got up after a while, was wondering whether to go for my walk but really didn't feel up to it. This is the first day I've missed since starting it before the lockdown.

Started feeling a bit better later, decided to have just an omelette for tea, the spag bol I had ready has now been put in the freezer with the rest of the portions.

The neighbours have been having a street party outside their individual houses, I didn't feel like joining in. It's still going on, I think the social distancing is being forgotten to some extent, I hope no-one comes to regret that.

What a wasted day, the weather has been warm although much cloudier than yesterday. Hoping to get back outside tomorrow, been feeling really sorry for myself.

RTL, hope you've enjoyed your day off and hope everyone else has had a good day.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 8th May
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear your not feeling too well Roobarb, hope tomorrow is better for you.

Didn't feel like much for breakfast s just had some grapes and a piece of cheese plus coffee of course.
After that I ordered OH to stay indoors while I cut the grass (i don;t want him moaning about his hay fever). I did the grass in the back garden but decided to leave the front for another day as some houses further down the street were setting up some speakers for a karaoke session and garden party.

About 4 we went for a walk, OH said just a short walk, which  usually takes about 45 minutes, this one took us 2 hours, fortunately where we live there are lots of country lanes and we can do a variety of circular walks and hardly see another soul.

Arrived home about 6 very hot and weary, fortunately the karaoke session had finished, I wasn't really into celebrating, more remembering those who never returned. 

I think an early night beckons.

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
Roo- Sorry to hear you are not feeling so well.  I hope you were able to enjoy some of the programming on telly. We all need a day off now and then. However, do keep an eye on your symptoms.

Caroline - Yes thank you! Mr CD is thrilled with the bike

RTL - agree with feelings about dental appointment cancellation! Hope your book will not disappoint.

Today's diary: A bit late up today as Mr CD is 'not at work' it being a bank holiday and I must have slept in.  Generally, Mr CD must get up and ready for work as normal, and get logged into his computer on time as he is monitored.  His  mouse must move so many times in a given period.....so no skiving for him!  Anyway, a 'holiday' today so his computer stayed off.  He has been asked to fill in a questionnaire for work which I think is suppose to help guide the powers that be make plans for the work force to return to the office....one question was 'do you like working from home'.  Hmmmm..... :-X

Today mainly  unfamiliar faces in the park.  A small work's party around weeding some of the flower beds. I notice some of the azalea's are beginning to come out, which is really nice.  One was a variegated white and red, another a very, very bright orange. Finished walk in double quick time in order to get home and ready for the 2 min silence. It would have been nice to be at the local war memorial, but I'm sure no-one would have been there.

The day then turned very busy indeed- baked some scones for a special afternoon tea later in the afternoon.  Managed to get an order with the farm shop sorted and collected.  Made some sandwiches and a few other goodies for afternoon tea.  We toasted 'absent friends' with some nice pink wine and had a nice break in the garden enjoying our treats. The scones were yummy.

Later I tuned into a family history talk and Q&A session that I normally watch.  Got tea sorted.  I roasted a small chicken and we had chicken and  salad in a pitta pocket for tea.  No-one was overly hungry after our luxury afternoon treat. It was however a nice change.

The evening was spent in a nostalgic haze watching all the VE75 programmes. I thought a lot about my parents, who lived through the war years, my aunties, uncles and grandparents and shed a few tears.

Until tomorrow
Stay safe!
CD

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 May 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you've been feeling grim today Roobarb- fish can be a dodgy thing for stomach upsets... such a shame you have to bin the rest ☹️. Hopefully after a good sleep tonight you'll be feeling better tomorrow.

My goodness Bee a 45minute walk turns in to a 2 hour one... you'll be feeling that tomorrow but if it's that or listen to karaoke I know which I'd rather do!

My diary for today

Sun shining when I woke up but not clear blue skies as previous days have been but at 9.30am it was already about 16C... all windows flung open!
Usual breakfast... washing in machine.
Heard from a friend whose dad at 102 and very active has sadly had a bad fall in hospital with a broken hip... she's bedside herself as she's not able to go in to be with him....
I spent the rest of the morning sorting out our village lottery... my job as I'm a member of our village hall management team and we run a lottery using the bonus ball as a winning number. It's a reasonable earner for us and now more than ever with no bookings ( also my job!) we could do with the money! Villagers pay £50 for the year and we pay out £30 a week...

Stop at 11 am for silence and reflection... decided to risky going down to observe it outside the church as not sure how many others would be there... so did it in our own way. Neither of our fathers were involved in European side of the war so felt fortunate we'd not lost anyone close...

it's time for new subs and as I usually go around the village - only about 105 houses that's not possible now so a note went in our village newsletter but deadline looming so emailed / phoned those I'd not heard from. It was quite nice to catch up with people . OH thinks I'm bonkers to still be doing it!
 Throughout the day I had envelopes through the door with cash or cheque...put in to plastic bag to be given to our treasurer ( he lives next door!).
Or emails to confirm direct payments.... lunch time by now!
Sat outside in the sunshine... decided long sleeve top and jeans was too hot so it was shorts and strappy top!
Time for another round of scrabble... not played much this week as OH spent 3 days doing fences and shed and I've been busy making scrubs!
We sat outside and had two games won 1 each its now 10-6 to OH!
Daughter sent us lots of pics of their bike ride round Longwood bluebell forest near where they live... looking forward to catching up with them on Sunday via Zoom
Finished sewing pair of trousers then got dinner sorted...
BBQ with lots of salad and sat outside, lovely calm evening and reasonably quiet..
. think there must have been a street party going on in the only close down the road in the village as we could hear music in the distance....
Came inside watched some tv...
A different day from what it should have been to commemorate VE Day which is a shame as there had been a whole w/end of events going on and for those people who'd put a lot of time and effort into its organisation I feel sad for.... been postponed until next year but not sure it's going to have the same feeling...
Tomorrow is another day ...

Hope others had amore memorable one.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 May 20 08:50 BST (UK) »
Very tired this morning as had a bad night's sleep due to a series of nightmares.  I suspect that writing the training program acted as a trigger by dredging up bad memories so I'll try and take a break from that today so I can get a sleep.

As it's a officially a bank holiday I didn't try and get the wee one to do any school work until the afternoon.  Not entirely happy with the homework that has been set for my older daughter.  Whilst I understand it is part of the curriculum I think it is very ill timed due to the pandemic.  The way teenagers are in general I think it should only have been done when physically in class so that the teacher can keep an eye on them.  The homework is: "Does your life have meaning? What happens when a loved one dies? Are they no longer suffering? Discuss".  I tend to check her to do list, how many other parents don't know that their child has been asked to focus on such emotionally charged things during a global pandemic?

Home made pizza for dinner.  Had a bit of a flour incident as in spilt a load on the floor.  Had to fix the vacuum, it was all clogged up with hair.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 May 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up ..

Caroline, that is very sad to read recently about your friend's Mum having died of covid and that she was unable to see her due to quarantine.  All very tragic and beyond their control.  My heart goes out to them and others who have faced and are facing similar situations.

Roobarb I am sorry to read recently about what has happened to your clematis.  I have a garden but I have very little understanding of horticultural things.  I know nature can be very resilient though.  Do you think the clematis might be able to recover?  I hope so.

CD - I hope Mr CD gets to enjoy his new bike.  Marvellous weather for exercise too at the moment!

Not quite caught up reading all recent posts but will soon.. :)

Diary

Got some washing done first thing and then walked to the Morrison's supermarket.  One of their staff was wearing a really cheerful looking 'landgirl outfit' topped off with a nifty knotted kerchief on her head.  I complimented her on this as I always enjoy seeing people in period costume and I thought it was nice that she had made such an effort.

In the afternoon I put the radio on whilst pottering about and by good fortune tuned into 'Absolute Radio 40s' as Vera Lynn was singing.  What a great radio show this turned out to be!  Most enjoyable!! There were lots of 40s hits, history bites, tributes and eyewitness accounts of the first VE day by people still alive now.  There were also recordings of speeches from Winston Churchill and the King.  All quite riveting stuff!

My favourite songs which I sang along to were 'Run Rabbit Run' and 'The long and the short and the tall - George Formby.  How these wonderful war time entertainers must have helped in keeping people's spirits up!  Tributes came from many, including Captain, now Colonel Tom Moore, Winston Churchill's Great Grandson and Jimmy Tarbuck who related that he had been named after his serviceman Uncle Jimmy Tarbuck who lies buried in Malta.  History bites from Dan Snow were most interesting too.
Just on happenchance theymight be reading, I would like to thank anyone involved in the making of this show.  Our intended local big event on the seafront has had to be cancelled which has been most disappointing.  However, this radio show has made me feel like I have had an 'event' after all!  Marvellous!!

Worked on my war research hobby in the evening.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 May 20 12:09 BST (UK) »

Roobarb I am sorry to read recently about what has happened to your clematis.  I have a garden but I have very little understanding of horticultural things.  I know nature can be very resilient though.  Do you think the clematis might be able to recover?  I hope so.

Just passing through.   ;D.

Roobarb,
It is not nice when neighbours try to destroy plants but if it is any consolation I have had a clematis for some years which last year appeared to have died right back so I cut it back to the ground.  Just the other day I noticed it was shooting up again, today it is 12 inches tall.  ;D. Fingers crossed yours will come back fighting.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 May 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your good wishes, I'm feeling a bit better today, was well enough to go for my walk but my poor tum still feels tender. Further details of today in Saturday diary, bet you can't wait!  ;)

Re my clematis, a lot of it has wilted and died but some bits of it are still healthy and in flower, it seems to me that it's been sprayed with something, I just hope it's not Roundup but I think if it was that would have been evident by now. Hoping that it recovers, I've sent for some plastic sheeting that I'll put across the fence where there's most damage, then put trellis on top of that and train the ivy and clematis (where surviving) to cover all that, then it can't be accessed from the other side. It's a bit ridiculous that I have to go to these lengths. The person in question was accused by another neighbour some time back of poisoning her plants so it figures.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 May 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Could it  just be suffering from Clematis wilt  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk