Author Topic: Spike in new cases after VE Day celebrations  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
Re: Spike in new cases after VE Day celebrations
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 May 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately we will always have people the who just do the opposite to what is required of them with total disregard of what has been put in place for their own and everyone else's safety.
The coming weeks will answer in one way or another?
These people picnicking, are they people just getting out from living ( being ) trapped in Hi-rise flats?
BUT There are some people who really just seem to have no care for themselves or for anybody else's health whist we still are in lockdown.
To me V.E day celebrations should have been delayed.
IF an increase of the virus cases occurs it can only mean a return to or more in the lockdown procedure, depending on what Mr. Johnson has instore for us later today.
The next few weeks will be on what has happened to the letting of the going ahead of the 75th V.E day Celebrations.
 IF we spike.        )
 IF we don't spike,)  Only time in passing will be telling us the answer.
Stay safe, Regards JUST J

Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 May 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
While my immediate neighbours were having a jolly good loud VE day celebration in their back garden with their friends my son was nursing Covid-19 patients. I was, and still am, angry and upset. Of course they'll be out on Thursday clapping so that makes it ok.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
While my immediate neighbours were having a jolly good loud VE day celebration in their back garden with their friends my son was nursing Covid-19 patients. I was, and still am, angry and upset. Of course they'll be out on Thursday clapping so that makes it ok.

I don't go out clapping on a Thursday though I do watch it on the TV most weeks - my dog gets stressed by all the noise being created by one next door neighbour, horns & saucepans etc, anything to make a lot of noise.  That same neighbour has had workmen into their house to fit blinds to the windows and family round for long periods including VE day and I suspect that they are also out visiting the family.  I wonder how many others think that by clapping their support means they can then carry on as usual.

I also have family working for the NHS - a GP - a nurse in my local hospital and another nurse who is out in the community doing home visits.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
I was going to say much the same about the clapping. Round here, the VE Day bash was actually fairly restrained, although there probably was some chipping away at social distancing. At other times, though, it seems to be perfectly acceptable to mix with other households, have lengthy conversations at well under 2m distance, or do DIY jobs that require help from non-household members or climbing on roofs.

However, a minute's clapping on a Thursday evening apparently protects you and your community from the perils of all such behaviour. As there isn't yet a vaccine against the virus, maybe we need to make this more widely known.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
That's how I felt too, it certainly puts it into perspective more.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 May 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Ten days after VE day, should see the spike starting soon.

And another one in Yorkshire in another couple of weeks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52704317

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 May 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
I'd read that, what idiots  ::) 

I really hope there isn't another spike but sadly I think the way some people have been behaving it's quite likely.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 May 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
I'd read that, what idiots  ::) 

I really hope there isn't another spike but sadly I think the way some people have been behaving it's quite likely.

You are always going to get a number of people who think the virus won't affect them - until it does! Its human nature, I'm afraid - the same mentality as someone who gets behind the wheel after a few drinks: 'oh, I'll be alright'.

Personally, being quite antisocial myself, I'd be quite happy for social distancing to continue ad infinitum though, of course I don't wish any harm to anyone albeit I came close to it the other Friday when my neighbours decided to play Vera Lynn at full blast in the court for most of the day. I always make sure my windows and doors are shut before I put my Led Zepp on but apparently, if you're celebrating VE Day you can do what you like. if there's one song I just cannot bear its Whalemeat Again.

Okay, got that off my chest - back to people flouting the 'rules'. It might have helped if the government spokesmen and women had attempted to speak to us as if we were adults rather than repeat the stay safe mantra over and over again and show us those ridiculous graphs every day until we were heartily fed up with the whole thing. I stopped watching those so called updates weeks ago - I mean, if they'd attempted to tell us what the options were and how they were thinking of tackling coming out of the lockdown situation, they might have kept people with them. Instead, I think they lost most people along the way and lots decided to go back to normal as much as they could. I know plenty of families with split homes who have 'annexed' each other's houses and travel between them. Not often, but often enough for people who live alone not to be climbing the walls (present company excepted. I love it!)

To me, if its going to come, the biggest spike will come in London in about 3 weeks time when the effects of everyone going back to work and travelling on the tube will take effect. Most were left with little alternative.

Or, of course, as some predicted, it may just have run its course - like flu epidemics do - and (to quote The Who) fff fade away.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 May 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
I suspect that there will not be any obvious spike as most European nations have come much further out of lockdown without any sign of the second wave which seems to so worry UK politicians. It was always hoped that seasonality would be a feature of this virus and that would certainly explain the European figures. I have also read that the virus had lost much of its virulence.

Even if its with fingers a little bit crossed I think it is time to be moving more boldly out of lockdown.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.