Author Topic: Mcghees of Newtownstewart  (Read 1029 times)

Offline danieliusuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mcghees of Newtownstewart
« on: Saturday 09 May 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for any possible light you might be able to throw on the Mcghee family of Newtownstewart in the early 19th century. My g g g grandfather was George Mcghee (died before 1875), a carpenter/joiner who married Jane Christie no later than the mid-1830s, with whom he had my g g grandfather Richard McGhee (c.1836-1903, Avington Hampshire) and Letitia (1841-1916, Chicago) who married a James Fyf(f)e in Dec 1857 and later moved first to Lanarkshire and later to the US.

I understand that parish records for the Church of Ireland (the McGhees were Protestant) survive only from around 1838, but might it be possible to learn more about George and Jane and their children from tombstone transcriptions or other documents?

I have found one other McGhee from Newtownstewart from this period: a Thomas McGhee who sailed on the ship wanna to Quebec in 1851. Another of George’s and Jane’s children? Or one of George’s siblings?

All help and suggestions most gratefully accepted!

Daniel

Offline LeslieAMcGee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mcghees of Newtownstewart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 21 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Daniel, it sounds like we are both descended from George McGee (he was my gg-grandfather. My grandfather and Alice Maud McGhee would have been first cousins. For George and Jane, I have that they had possibly 7 children: George, Sarah, Leticia, Ellen, William, Edward and Richard. Edward was my great grandfather and he emigrated to Ontario, Canada. Lately, with new data additions to Ancestry.com and my ability to access them via the library, I have been adding more to the tree.

I have had the information on your ancestor Richard for quite some time, but just recently found your additions which helped me to learn about Lilian. Are you the grandson she is holding in the photo?

I look forward to sharing what I have know and have learned about our Irish ancestors and the ones living in Canada and the US!

Leslie