Author Topic: Peter Burton birth about 1757  (Read 1105 times)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Burton birth about 1757
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 May 20 22:17 BST (UK) »
Marriage at Holt, 14 Nov 1785
James Dunnit, Widower
+
Martha Burton, Spinster

Both of the parish. Martha marked, as did witness Margaret Burton
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRPQ-WL5?i=44&cc=1416598&cat=517548

Could this be the Martha bap at Glandford  in 1749?

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 May 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi to both of you.
 Thankyou both for all the posts, very much appreciated and helpful.

the yokel:  that marriage is really good I had Abigiel but no marriage so again more good info, thanks. 

jonw65:  You have got an awful lot of info here for me so I need to do a lot of followup work here.  Just quickly I think this may be another section of the family.
 So yes a lot of checking to be done. 

I have to go out shortly so will come back after that and having had a good look at the posts info.

Thanks so very much for helping.
Essnell.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
We may have hit a problem
1803 Holt poor rate has a Peter Burton
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6969-4QD?cat=561823

Actually Peter & Robt. Rates dated 24 March 1803

Ditto 20 May 1803.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6969-C81?i=290&cat=561823

Also a William Burton (next image)
and same I think 20 Sep 1803
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6961-PQ?i=301&cat=561823

Now, 20 Dec 1803 :)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6969-92G?i=312&cat=561823

Arranged in similar order, but there are no Peter & Robt Burton?
Next image (314) sudden appearance of Margt Burton, widow.
But is it "our" Margaret?

Another complication may be that the Peter buried in 1806 was a pauper.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
There is this burial at Holt, 24 Feb 1806
Peter Burton, Son of Peter Burton and Martha his Wife late Martha Allen Spinster
aged 71 years a Pauper

I was wondering if this Peter (born C1735) is the one who married Mary Starling 29 Dec 1756 at Salthouse and as a widower, Ann Cotton 11 Feb 1760 also at Salthouse.

There is also a Peter son of Elizabeth Burton baptised 7 May at Sustead 7 May 1756.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
It could be. Though, whoever he was, if he was 71 then there is the problem of finding those parents of his.
And the Peter married to Margaret Ram must be buried somewhere.

As for the Holt rates records, I am inclined not to worry too much about them at the moment,  as they might be misleading.
John

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi to you both again and thanks.

Jonw65.... 
1.  I saw that Holt burial for Peter 1806's death which would , since he was 71, imdicate he was born 1725 approx.   So he could be the father of Peter who married Margaret Ram, just by looking at date timeline. Something I had not thought of before.

2.  Margaret was paying rates on a property in 1811. She died possibly in 1831. So that is 20 years later.   So it is known where she was at that time.  Not sure of the proprietors name ‘Plaxxx’ ? 

3. I think that the Cromer burial 1781 for Peter may be that for Peter who married Margaret Ram thence Margaret Burton and she would probably be the Margaret above.
 I am not sure here as this is the same year that  their last known child, William, was born. That would make Margaret a young widow  with 4 young children.   

4.  I cannot yet see where Peter and Martha fit in    ....More thinking needed here.

5.  Yes, the second Martha born 1749 Glanford sounds to be pretty good for the marriage to James Dunnit.  Margaret Burton   - connection  - I don’t know. 

Thanks for the new posts which are really interesting.  I have been looking at these too.

The more I think about either of the deaths for Peter the less it makes sense. 
I have got Margarett's death in 1831 Holt, Norfolk.

I am also wondering about Peter 1781 death as pauper.  This family were dairy farmers so the story goes and I believe they had milk runs into outer London. 

I am still not joining up any dots  but there, as you say, has to be a burial for Peter somewhere.

thanks  - I cannot do this alone.
 Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 May 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi jonw65   and The Yokel

I have been looking at what John posted re records from Glanford, in particular the birth for Peter Burton 1740 to Peter Burton and Elizabeth Allen.  Seeing that Peter and Elizabeth married in Blakeney, it is not that far from Glanford.  The sister, Elizabeth 1735, also is good. 

If this is "our" Peter he would be 33yrs old when he married Margaret Ram1773 and if he died in 1806  he would have been 66  and that says he was 71 so it is a bit a out.  However this is most likely the birth record needed.

I have found a birth for a Martha Allin in Glanford 1713, 25th October.  No parents noted.  still no marriage for her to a Peter XXX.
what do you both think?

Essnell

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 20 19:33 BST (UK) »
If this is "our" Peter he would be 33yrs old when he married Margaret Ram1773 and if he died in 1806  he would have been 66  and that says he was 71 so it is a bit a out.  However this is most likely the birth record needed.

If it is this Peter it seems strange that his wife was not mentioned on the burial record.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
I think that the Cromer burial 1781 for Peter may be that for Peter who married Margaret Ram thence Margaret Burton and she would probably be the Margaret above.
 I am not sure here as this is the same year that  their last known child, William, was born. That would make Margaret a young widow  with 4 young children.

There is a logic to the idea as there are no more children that we know of after 1781. William was baptized at Holt not long after the burial of Peter at Cromer, though I think there is nothing noted to suggest that Peter was deceased.
Nor anything to indicate that the Peter buried in Cromer might have been living in Holt.
So we don't know!

Can we be sure that the Margaret buried in Holt in 1831 is the right one? And if she is, does that mean she is the lady in the rates books earlier?
What happened to the four children of Peter and Margaret - especially re Holt, did they stay there?