Author Topic: If You Had a Time Machine  (Read 2801 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If You Had a Time Machine
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
If you had a time machine what would you change to make modern research easier.

I would: 1. Have made census enumerators be more specific than Ireland/Scotland/England etc as place of birth for people who'd moved to around.
2. For occupation they would have to say where eg miner would say which pit they worked in at the time of the census/registration
3.  Scotland to keep the 1855 style certificates where parents place of birth was recorded on their children's birth certificates.

Disclaimer: I know there's no such thing as a time machine.  I know the records that exist are what they are and we have to work with them (I have done for over 20 years), I know even if we could go back I would not have the power to change the above.  However I am human and I am prone to having a few wistful moments when I think what if....
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: If You Had a Time Machine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Oh yes!  I would definitely like to have more details like this.

My DNA test indicates my Irish ancestors came from Monaghan.  I have found a baptism in a record at an Alnwick Church, Northumberland,  which backs this up - as it records a Great x 2 Grandfather as from 'Monaghan'.  So nice fit.  On census they are just from 'Ireland'.  However, another baptism has same named ancestor from 'Lock Gilley' in Ireland.  As far as I have been able to find out there is no such place but there is a Loughgilley which can be pronounced as Lock Gilley.

I would also have liked the marriage place to have been recorded for martied couples on the census.  This would be a huge help.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
Oh yes!  I would definite like to have more details like this.

My DNA test indicates my Irish ancestors came from Monaghan.  I have found a baptism in a record at an Alnwick Church, Northumberland,  which backs this up - as it records my Great x 2 Grandfather as from 'Monaghan'.  So nice fit.  On census they are just from 'Ireland'.  However, another baptism has same named ancestor from 'Lock Gilley' in Ireland.  As far as I have been able to find out there is no such place but there is a Loughgilley which can be proniunced as Lock Gilley.

I would also have liked the marriage place to have been recorded for martied couples on the census.  This would be a huge help.  :)

Oh yes that's a good one.  Every opportunity for cross referencing I like that.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
Yes --- HG Wells has a lot to answer for... However the film did show the good and bad side of Time Travel as did the book..
It did not stop me wishing to go back  - I am a bit of a dreamer -- and often as I fall asleep imagine the night will be spent checking things out ... from previous times..    Its funny and you can all laugh  -- I often wake with good strong feelings of resolution -- yep insanity... but hey  too late to change now.

xin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
It would be very helpful if all parish registers were in the Dade or Barrington style.  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Also, really pushing the boat out and extending the census paperwork no doubt - I would like to have recorded the known parents of any adult in a household.  Not just Fathers as on marriage records.  I have a great x 2 Grandmother supposedly born around 1829.  I know name of her Father (i believe) but only suspect name of her Mother.  I think this ancestor may have been born earlier around 1826 but may have reduced age gap to fit that of my Great x 2 Grandfather.  She mostly just keeps to being a year older than him but I do think she may have been four years older from a baptism I have found.  So it would help if Mother's name was on census to support or refute my suspicions.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
Excuse my ignorance but what are those styles mentioned?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:41 BST (UK) »

They contain much much more than the average PR but sadly dates and areas covered are limited.

I am having problems with searching on my iPad at the moment, so can’t provide links to websites giving more information.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:43 BST (UK) »

The Revered William Dade back in the mid 1700s foresaw the need for a lot of information on the records but they gradually died out because it was too much work for the clergy. Scottish records are probably the closest still around.