Author Topic: New Mantra: Stay Alert - Control the Virus - Save Lives  (Read 13407 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: New Mantra: Stay Alert - Control the Virus
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
I’m sticking with Boris, I don’t think it is reasonable to expect sixty million people to incarcerate themselves just to protect me, life is full of risks, go out in the car you might get killed in an accident, you might fall downstairs, you might get mugged etc, no laws or rules will remove the risk.
I am responsible for my own safety.

Mike

That attitude is fine if it was just you who might catch it and die, that would be your choice. However it doesn't work that way - one person catches it and gives it to at least one other. I certainly don't want to be responsible for killing members of my family or my friends.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:26 BST (UK) »

a certain 'panic' 'sensible caution'

I think panic is the right word in certain circumstances, one only has to look at Twitter and Facebook to see the vitriol spit out at anyone admitting to a minor infringement of the rules.
[/quote]

Well count me out of the 'panic' section and into the 'sensible caution'.

Including the fact that people may be non symptomatic and inadvertently infecting others.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
What part of Stay Home, Save Lives and Social Distancing don't these people understand?

Maybe the part where you can visit hospitals and shake hands with no problem; or your dad can advise to continue going to the pub; or go to the races or a concert; or visit your second home; or do long round trips to your parents before you go to your other home; or leak information to certain newspapers about intended changes to encourage above behaviour; or encourage ‘celebrations’ to remember those who died for our freedom...
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
I’m sticking with Boris, I don’t think it is reasonable to expect sixty million people to incarcerate themselves just to protect me, life is full of risks, go out in the car you might get killed in an accident, you might fall downstairs, you might get mugged etc, no laws or rules will remove the risk.

Mike

That's all fine and dandy - until it's a member of your family that dies?
You are responsible for the safety of others - not just yourself.

IMHO you are being irresponsible!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:37 BST (UK) »

Mike

I can't understand the idea that it's okay to go out and infect other people and possibly kill them.  This is a situation when it can never be "all about me".  People can have the virus and be asymptomatic -  this is what makes it particularly dangerous.  And it's not only the elderly who are dying.  Imagine infecting a young person or a child and being responsible for their death.  Perhaps if you didn't know them you wouldn't care.  Is that what we have become as a nation?
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Whose life am I saving by stopping at home?

Not the men who empty my bins,    not the couriers delivering trivial goods bought on line,   Not the neighbours who shop for me,

I am saving my life at the expense of others, meanwhile my children’s jobs are going , their business
they have spent twenty years building up is being destroyed,  my grandchildren in the middle of exams and university are seeing their future disrupted and for what?

To protect me,  I think  that is totally selfish of me.  Think about it

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
We are not stopping at home to avoid us spreading the the virus, we are stopping spreading the virus by social distancing, as long as i personally social distance my conscience is clear.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
A try at a definition of Stay Alert:

A No 10 spokesman said the public can stay alert by “staying at home as much as possible”, “limiting contact with other people” and keeping two metres apart where possible.

Ummm ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
A try at a definition of Stay Alert:

A No 10 spokesman said the public can stay alert by “staying at home as much as possible”, “limiting contact with other people” and keeping two metres apart where possible.

Ummm ::)

I am not by nature a sociable person,  sounds good to me,  no more visiting the wife’s sister, when can I start.  ;D