Author Topic: Hong Kong:marriage Elsie Solan Fok or Huo and Leslie David Jones  (Read 864 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hong Kong:marriage Elsie Solan Fok or Huo and Leslie David Jones
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
This links to this thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=830474.0

Elsie Solan Jones nee Fok was born in Calcutta and the first passenger records I have of her are in 1957 from Hong Kong to the UK.  She and her husband Leslie David Jones travelled on a UK + Colonies citizen's passport issued in Hong Kong, with country of residence shown as Hong Kong, and status in the UK as visitor in transit for Elsie, and in transit for David.

I cannot find their marriage in the UK and wonder if they married in Hong Kong?  They emigrated to the USA in 1961 where they settled. 

I have not seen any children on the various passenger records.

Leslie D Jones birth was registered in Brentford, England and his dob was 20 Sep 1922. Elsie's birth was 24 Dec 1924.  They both died in the USA - she died quite young and Leslie remarried.  I have those dates and details already.

Apparently Fok is the Cantonese pronunciation of the surname Huo, so I'm not sure if this would be her name in documents but it was written phonetically as Fok at some point.

Are there any BMD resources for Hong Kong online please?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong:marriage Elsie Solan Fok or Huo and Leslie David Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
NB I haven't found any Jones family connection with Hong Kong, and am puzzled that he was travelling on a passport issued in Hong Kong, as presumably he needed a UK-issued passport to get there in the first place.  Perhaps it expired and was renewed in Hong Kong?  Perhaps he ended up in Hong Kong while serving in WW2, if he did serve, that is.

Leslie David Jones was the son of Leslie Frank Jones and Ellen Jones nee Capps.  Neither parents nor brother or uncles appear on any Hong Kong passenger list that I can find.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Just spotted Berlin-Bob's post on the resources page regarding his family search wiki page on various countries.  Thanks for doing this Berlin-Bob.

Sadly nothing for HK marriages (yet?).
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      I have several relatives with the surname FOK. All were in Hong Kong and the British ones seem to use it as part of their Chinese aliases.
  My great uncle was James Hunter, alias Fok Chi Sing and his daughter was Ellen Hunter, alias Fok Shuk Wah. Ellen was listed as Chinese on her death certificate, but neither of her parents were.

James died in 1937 and is buried at the Colonial Cemetery and his daughter died in 1944 and is buried at St Michael's Catholic Cemetery, also at Happy Valley, Hong Kong
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Interesting.  Why did they feel the need for a Chinese alias? Do you know?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
Chinese aliases were very common. People sometimes had more than one. They were like nicknames in a way. My great grandmother had three, She was Anne Hunter, but had aliases Goot Choy, Kot Choy or Kot Choi. I think it also made it easier for business and legal documents when dealing with the Chinese system.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 22:28 BST (UK) »

https://gwulo.com/node/7495

Yes there are some records for Hong Kong but perhaps not the years you are searching for.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks seemex for the alias information.  Is there any way of cross-referencing aliases with real names, or was it just an informal practice?  Possible Elsie Solan Fok was just plain Elsie Solan, so I'll look for marriages for Jones-Solan.

Also thanks barryd for that link, but unfortunately for me the records are too early.  Could be of use to others though.  Have you put it on the resources page, or was it always there and I just missed it?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     Sorry, I've never really been able to figure out the alias process. I know with caucasians, the names are often given to a person by someone else, like a nickname. Chinese tend to have a series of names, a baby or nursing name, then later ones as they grow older, sort of like we might have Bobby, then Bob and finally Robert.
In my family, that FOK names seems to repeat. I wonder in your situation, how sure are you of Solan? Could it have been Sloan and mistranscribed along the way? Even if not, I'd check that in case there's a missed clue.