Author Topic: Is this the same man?  (Read 235 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this the same man?
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
I got much of the following information from Ancestry -- some of the detail is a little confusing: I am trying to make sense of the following information -- I need an experienced eye to help me with this one!

Henry McClinchy was born Co Down Ireland & joined 29th Dragoons (renumbered 25th Dragoons?) under Capt Cuningham at Manchester 4 Jan 1798 and mention of joining at Winchester 5 Feb 1798 (In registers for 25th Dragoon Guards 1807-1809 aged 50 and 1809-1811 aged 52 years).

Seems the 25th Dragoons may have been in India - Henry McClinchy was discharged/pensioned out 24 Sept 1812 - Observations say he was invalided and sent to Europe 28 Feb 1812.

Then I came across a reference to Henry McClinchy Gent of the 7th Royal Regiment of Veterans being promoted to Ensign 11-20 Nov 1813.

Could these references be for the same man? (no other Henry McClinchy in military records in this period as far as I know).

British army marriage records shows a Henry McClinchy of Salt Wood Kent marrying a Catherine Beresford at St Mary's Islington, Middlesex on 1 Jan 1814.

Henry McClinchy died & buried 1825 Kirk Malew, Isle of Man (aged about 63 years). His widow Catherine McClinchy of Castletown, Isle of Man applied for pension on behalf of her widowed husband who was on half-pay being a retired Ensign of 7th Battalion the Royal Veterans.

Is this the same man or two different men?

Offline peterbuck

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the same man?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
with the information it seems highly likely that it is and as you say there is'ant another of the same name listed. he would be a veteran so it makes scence