Author Topic: William Hillen or Hilling  (Read 201 times)

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Hillen or Hilling
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)
My ancestor William Hillen (sometimes spelt Hilling) was in the East Norfolk Militia from 1792 as a Private until 1802 when he deserted. They were stationed in Pontefract, Rochdale, Nottingham, Colchester and Lichfield staffs, where his daughter Maria was baptised 30 Nov 1800 at St. Mary's, Lichfield. William's wife was called Betty, she was born c 1776 in Norwich, but I have not found a marriage for them yet. Are there any records that would maybe lead me to his marriage and a maiden name for Betty? William was born in Norwich c 1773. On 29 Feb 1832 William was sentenced to transportation in Australia for stealing three donkey's and I have found out many things concerning his time there, but not his marriage. On Ancestry's website several people have put Betty's maiden name as Chittock, but Elizabeth Chittock's family were Bakers's and William Hillen & Betty were very poor - a removal order was taken out for Maria & Betty on 25 June 1805 to Carlton Rode from St. Martin at Oak, Norwich, so I am not convinced Chittock is the correct one, especial as the Chittock Hilling marriage was in 1809 and Maria was born in 1800.
Any help would be great.
Regards Quester

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Hillen or Hilling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 13:27 BST (UK) »

William's wife was called Betty, she was born c 1776 in Norwich, but I have not found a marriage for them yet.

Are there any records that would maybe lead me to his marriage and a maiden name for Betty?

On Ancestry's website several people have put Betty's maiden name as Chittock, but Elizabeth Chittock's family were Bakers's and William Hillen & Betty were very poor - a removal order was taken out for Maria & Betty on 25 June 1805 to Carlton Rode from St. Martin at Oak, Norwich, so I am not convinced Chittock is the correct one, especial as the Chittock Hilling marriage was in 1809 and Maria was born in 1800.

How do you know that Betty was born in Norwich.

It only takes one person on an Ancestry tree to suggest a marriage, the rest will probably just add it without checking  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,
On both of these censuses she says she was born in Norfolk
 1841 Living in Water Lane, Pockthorpe, Norwich, Norfolk with her daughter Maria and family. (Born in County)
1851 Living in Spitalfields. Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich with John Moore & Maria. Elizabeth is a widow. Born St. Martin at Oak, Norwich.
Regards Quester

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
William was a Widower on that 1809 Marriage/Elizabeth single
So yes agree with you unlikely your Marriage for William.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
 I'm glad you agree - thanks.
 Regards Quester.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the census. 

Her age is
60 in 1841
70 in 1851
74 on her death in 1854
Born c1780  :-\

Just wondering why a removal order was taken out in 1805 for Maria and Betty with no mention of William.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,
 It sounds as though William had abandoned his family perhaps?
Regards Quester