Author Topic: Sarah Moreland Dealer in Small Arms, Codnor Park, Derbyshire  (Read 1576 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Sarah Moreland Dealer in Small Arms, Codnor Park, Derbyshire
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Someone in my village of Codnor Park found a cast iron plate bearing the lettering: “Sarah Moreland dealer in small arms”.  See attachment.

It was found in the back garden of a cottage on Railway Row when he had problems with the drains and his builder had to dig out for new ones.

We have been wondering if its origins were related to our local village history. We have looked on the internet but can find no reference to the details on the plate.

What we have discovered so far from the 1881 census is a Sarah Moreland  living at 5, Railway Row, Codnor Park  near to were the metal plate was found.  No occupation was given.

However, looking at local trade directories from the 1870’s we have discovered a Mrs Sarah Moreland of 5, Railway Row, Codnor Park listed as a shopkeeper. I wonder if she traded in small arms?

Is anyone able to help us to link Sarah to being a “dealer in small arms”?

Any help or information would be really appreciated.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Moreland Dealer in Small Arms, Codnor Park, Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Can't seem to find her in 1871 yet ** but from 1861 her husband was Thomas a pipe moulder.

** under Moorland but no occupation. 

Not much help sorry  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not going to be much help,either! :)

Where is the word "ams" on there. Not seeing it at all.

Maybe ask on the:
RootsChat.Com »
Old Photographs, Recognition, Handwriting Deciphering

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
"Dealer in Small Wares" seems more likely.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
"Dealer in Small Wares" seems more likely.

That does seem to fit better. :)

Maureen

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that would fit better perhaps. I thought dealer in small arms was a bit unusual for a woman of that time.  I wonder if there is any other evidence to prove this?

Many thanks to everyone for getting back so far.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Following on from my last message I have since found Mrs Sarah Moreland listed as a "shopkeeper" living at 5, Railway Row, Codnor Park in two trade directories (1876 & 1877). So everything seems to fit.

I wonder what small wares she traded in?

Also I have managed to trace her back to living with her husband in Codnor Park to the 1861 census. Her husband died in 1862.

Sarah died in 1895 in Osmaston. She had a daughter Jane born in Riddings in in 1855. Sarah probably got married in 1854 in the Belper registration district. So things seem to fit here.

So far I have been unable to trace her in the 1851 or 1841 census. Is any one able to help? The 1891 census gives her place of birth as Birchwood rather than Alfreton given in previous census.

Any help would be appreciated.   

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689454.0

Smallware /Small Ware was what we might call haberdashery: tapes, ribbons, braids etc
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for getting back. It is probably what she traded in, I would imagine.  However, I have seen "Iron" in brackets after small ware for some dealers. There was an iron works a very short distance from her house.