Author Topic: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924  (Read 1240 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to track a great uncle, Miksa Weisz, who disappeared from the records in 1924 after his 3rd marriage to a Margit Friedmann in Vienna. They were both born in Budapest but I can't find a death for either. There are about 10 Miksa/Max Weisz that I have found in the Vienna Jewish death index from 1924, so I would have to go the synagogue record to find out if it is the Max I am looking for. The index only gives a volume number of 14. Could anyone help to decipher what this means?
Very many thanks
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
...I've now worked out how to check back to the records from the index, I've looked through all the Max Weisz/Weiss entries up to 1938 and none is the right one, so my question now is where can I find deaths post 1938? It may be that he left Vienna to return to Budapest but I haven't been able to trace him there either.
Many thanks for any ideas
Colee

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
Try genteam.eu - a growing database, free to users. You never know......
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colee,

Could you give us some more info about Miksa Weisz and Margit Friedmann? - e.g. ages, his occupation, was Margit previously married, was she of an age that they may have had children?

There is some good info on tracing ancestors here:
https://www.wien.gv.at/english/history/archives/ancestors.html

Perhaps you could trace them through the city directories? This wouldn't tell you if he had died or just left the area but it would at least give you some idea of how long he was in Vienna for.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for both of those suggestions, I will look them up.

I attach here the marriage document of Miksa and Margit - he was born 4 March 1882 (Budapest), and Margit on 25 August 1890 in Tolna county, Hungary. So Margit was about 34, she could have had children but it is very possible the marriage didn't last - Miksa's daughter Joli (born 1914) from his first marriage (my cousin's mother) who was left in Budapest with grandparents (her mother died in 1918 in the Spanish flu) was sent to join his father (and presumably Margit) in Vienna for a while but was quite soon sent back to Budapest.

As for Miksa's occupation, I don't think he would have had a stable job, he had a reputation of being a bit footloose and not good with money, asking for his family to bale him out.

I have looked at the directories a bit, but it is difficult to get definitive info here unless there is a positive match on an address from say the marriage doc, as they both have very common names (there were 10 Miksa/Max Weiss who died in the period but none were the right one).

Many thanks again and if you have any more ideas I would be so grateful, I have been looking on and off for 'sightings' of Miksa for a few years now.

Best
Colee

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The entry shows Miksa as being an Elektrotechniker (electrical engineer), in case that helps.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
That's extremely interesting Karen, I couldn't make out what that said! I think that might help with the directories as their occupations were often listed too I think?
Hmmm I wonder where he studied in Budapest to get qualified.
Thank you very much indeed for that.
Best
Emma

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi - maybe Karen again?!

Does anyone know what occupation this reads as? It's a Vienna address for another relative who was there in 1924.

Very many thanks
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe this is Max/Miksa?

A bit of a long shot, but his sister's brother-in-law lived on this same street for a while. Can anyone help with reading the German here?

Again, very many thanks
Colee