Author Topic: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924  (Read 1239 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Graham, yes I meant phone number, it's just a bit odd that it keeps changing, that's all!

I meant to ask alongside the 'Margit' entries if anyone could help with both of those occupations too. Sorry my brain/eyes haven't got around this German script yet!

Very many thanks again
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you Graham
I just found on genteam.at that they divorced in 1929, that was a great tip, it seems like a very good database!
That's quite a discovery, I really didn't expect them to be in Vienna as late as 1929, I'll be able to get another address from the divorce record. Exciting!
Best
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Here's the actual register entry, which helpfully confirms no children, but I can't see any addresses. And also reconfirmation about the occupations, so Margit was a tailor. And it seems Miksa definitely was an electrical engineer, although he didn't seem to be listed in the trade/profession directory. Maybe he worked for someone else so wouldn't have his own listing.

Would anyone know what the Hebrew entry says?

Many, many thanks for your continued interest.
Best
Colee

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
Not totally sure about the word engineer in this context. In the UK someone who fixes your fusebox or your washing machine is called an engineer, but is in fact a technician. In Germany at least (and my guess is Austria would be similar) it would be wrong to call these trades engineers, as engineer is a protected term and needs professional qualifications - parallel to AMIEE or MIEE in UK, and there will be a prefix such as Dipl. Ing.
I await correction about this.....
These records from Vienna and elsewhere are so sad as many of these families were exterminated in the 1940s.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

yes I suppose that is one of my drivers in trying to find what happened to relatives in the 1930s and 1940s. My grandparents were deported from Budapest in the summer of 1944 to Auschwitz, and would have been gassed on arrival I think, as they were in their 60s. Actually my grandmother was the only one out of 5 surviving (another 5 had died I think) siblings who was deported (although I don't know yet what happened to Miksa), many were in mixed marriages and managed to hide/escape.

On my grandfather's side, he had a brother whose death I haven't been able to pin down yet, and his other siblings may have stayed in Balassagyarmat in Hungary where they were born, and few from there escaped from being deported to Auschwitz, but again I haven't found them in any records, many of which were destroyed as well which makes it harder. But it would still be good to trace their journeys somehow if I can, and ultimately that's what I'd like to do. I've been researching on and off for about 3 years, I've uncovered a lot, but there are still many, many gaps. Miksa is one of them. So thank you all for your help!!

Best
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
... but then also I'd like to find out if any I don't know about survived to see if there are any living descendants I can trace - to know they weren't all wiped out, and to make contact with them!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
I can understand (a bit)
I have found adopted Kindertransport children who I thought were British born but couldn't find the birth registration until I discovered the truth;
Some adult refugees;
One brave woman sheltering Jews in Berlin throughout;
One woman whose father was the only survivor of an extended family; it goes on.....

And I've been very moved by the Holocaust Memorial and the Jewish Museum in Berlin, along with the Stolpersteine in Freiburg and elsewhere. I found Theresienstadt a disturbing visit as well.

I guess I'm making suggestions that are too obvious - have you seen what help you can get from Yad Vashem? and www.jgsgb.org.uk ?

Some records are available at TNA, of course only for those who made it to the UK. You may be lucky: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/refugees/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

I didn't know about JGSGB, I'll look into that. Yes I've been in touch with Yad Vashem before, but didn't get very far, and actually it's not always best to rely on their own database. I found that a 1st cousin once removed was listed there I think as 'missing', but in fact I 'found' him (after many months of looking) back in Budapest under a different name, as of course almost all Jewish survivors in their countries post war changed their names - in his case to Varnai. He had escaped from a camp I think.

My father left Hungary in the late 1920s to go to university in Brno (not allowed to go to university in Budapest), and in fact never went back, he ended up in the UK after the war (via Florence, Singapore and India but that's another story) and kept his name - so Weiss was the name that I grew up with.

I am also pinning hopes on the Red Cross archives which are held at the Wiener Holocaust Library in London. Jewish research in the 1930s and 1940s is very difficult I think, but equally I have the feeling that there may be records somewhere, it's knowing where to look, and having the time of course.

Thank you for your suggestions again Graham
your one about genteam has given me the most info I've had in a long time! (although I fear that the trail may now go very cold...)
Best
Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 May 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hunting for Margit, I could only find a Margit Friedmann with correct father (Isak), and mother called Berta Weber instead of Sidonie Weber, with a different date and place of birth. But the combination of an Isak Friedmann with a Weber bride seems quite a coincidence. Please see attached, do you think this is a reasonable assumption?

I wonder if anyone can see on Margit's marriage certificate if Isak's occupation is a match, does the info include this, I can't read it.... So the Isak from Slovakia is a duvet maker.

thank you if you can help with this!
Colee