Author Topic: LivingDNA have extended match lists  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA have extended match lists
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying - it is nice to know it is not just me  ;D

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
In my top matches, I have 3 people who have also tested on Ancestry, but the cM values are different on the two sites

LC  39.91 on LivingDNA:  31 across 2 segments on Ancestry. He is my 3rd cousin once removed
ID  41.44 on LivingDNA:   32 across 1 segment on Ancestry. He is my 4th cousin once removed
RR  41.82 on Living DNA:  34 across 2 segments on Ancestry. Not established relationship yet.

All higher on Living DNA but not consistently higher. ???

I have one shared match with ID on LivingDNA who is different to the one shared match I have on Ancestry - way different cM and different gender. So that gives me one new person to contact and I know which branch they fit with

I have two shared matches with LC on LivingDNA at 9.97 and 12.57 cM, which given the difference between L-DNA and Anc, would be below Anc's threshold.
I have two shared with LC on Ancestry, but again they are different ones and much higher on Anc.
So two new people on a different branch to contact.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying - it is nice to know it is not just me  ;D

Liz

I have just had a response from a LivingDNA to a comment I made on the Living DNA user group on facebook telling me that it takes them three weeks to produce match lists for new uploads. They load them into the system once every two weeks, then we have to wait about another week for the matches to run.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look for that user group - good to see you get a reply. I'll ask why the cM is much higher on L-DNA than Ancestry. I expect it is the cut off value they use. It would also be good if they said how many segments were involved instead of just total cM.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
I have just had a response from a LivingDNA to a comment I made on the Living DNA user group on facebook telling me that it takes them three weeks to produce match lists for new uploads. They load them into the system once every two weeks, then we have to wait about another week for the matches to run.

Thank you - that's interesting - so from uploading my DNA it could take 6 weeks for a match with Dad to appear?

It still doesn't explain why he has absolutely no other matches though! Especially if others like LizzieL are questioning the cut off value - surely Dad should match people on Living DNA that he wouldn't on other sites?

Perhaps I should just write it off as a waste of time.  :'( (I might look for that User Group on FB though!)

Liz

ADDED: I have just applied to join that group and can see your question Craclyn and the conversation it prompted  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
LC, ID and me have all uploaded to Gedmatch some time ago, the cM of our matches are very slightly greater on Gedmatch but not by much.
A 6th cousin of mine (JP) tested on Ancestry (in fact he was the one who persuaded me to do a DNA test), but we don't show as a match. He uploaded data to Gedmatch, so I did too. We don't show as a match  until I manually reduce the threshhold value. 3 segments at 3 - 4 cM each

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Liz, Don’t write it off. My post on the facebook group was aimed at trying to get them to understand that many people might lose interest if they don’t speed up the process.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 May 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
 ::) To add insult to injury I have just received an email  from Living DNA encouraging me to check out their new matching system - promising "99% of our users who have opted into Family Networks now have matches" so I guess Dad is one of the 1% who despite being registered over three years now, still doesn't have any - and my DNA upload will be another week at least before the outside chance he matches me (I am not hopeful!!).

I tried to join the Facebook group earlier in the week but despite there seemingly being quite a bit of activity in the group my application is still "pending" - so I guess no admins are active ... I saw your post Craclyn - well done for trying - but is there anyone from the company actually involved in the group?

The email I sent to their "customer services" has also gone unanswered.

I am not sure I would ever be able to recommend this company to anyone!

Liz  ::) :'(
Research interests:

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 May 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, there is someone from the support team at the company who is in the facebook group. She has responded to my post with an indication of when I could expect to see matching. She has not commented on my subsequent suggestion that they should run matching more frequently.