Author Topic: LivingDNA have extended match lists  (Read 2780 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA have extended match lists
« Reply #45 on: Friday 05 June 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Exciting times!

I got my first message from a potential DNA match on LivingDNA today  :)

OK the amount of DNA we share is probably too small to ever sort out where the connection is and without the chromosome browser, promised but so far not delivered, it is a lot harder. Nevertheless he gave me a list of names and locations and I have replied with my list of names and locations for the potential areas we may match. Probably wrote too much as had to split it over two messages  :D

Anyway I am pleased to have had a contact and who knows what the future may bring if they do manage to get their promised developments to work. Just a couple of gripes  ::) The message box limit of 1,000 characters is a bit stingy and the size of the box is too small IMO. Also I would have liked them to have a message centre where all my messages are rather that having to look for them on each person contacted. (And if I have got that wrong  ??? can someone put me right, thanks).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 05 June 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
Excellent! Small steps forward ... sorry I have no idea about the messages, not having anyone to message ... ::)

It is such a shame because they have promised so much and their "Ancestry results" are spot on for Dad given his paper trail - I just feel a bit let down to be told that he does indeed have matches - but I can't see them! 

::) ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 05 June 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
I agree about the message box being ridiculously small. It is very difficult to proof read a message before sending it.
The message centre is lurking at the bottom of your match list under a little green tab that gets a bit hidden among the sales blurb  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 05 June 20 18:22 BST (UK) »

The message centre is lurking at the bottom of your match list under a little green tab …..

Thanks for that. Yes that is what I have been using. Didn't realise that was the "message centre" !  :D
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 June 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
Well I am not sure if message centre is quite the right term for it, but that is where you get access to all of your latest messages and can see which ones are unread. Clicking on a message from there takes you to the relevant profile where you can see the message history and respond.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
We have matches!  ;D

But - I'm not sure if this actually makes things worse not better  ::)

I appear to be my father's sister (shared cM = 2713 37.42%). With Mum I share 3609.85cM, 49.78%.

On FTDNA I share the same amount with both of them (3384cM) and on 23andMe I share 50.0% with Dad.

So I have serious reservations about the accuracy of Living DNA's predicted relationships and although I will look through them, I don't think I will take them very seriously!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:42 BST (UK) »

The only large cMs Match that I have on that Site is with my late Mother's half brother, - and I already knew about that anyway. The rest of them all seem to be at 4th Cousin level, and hardly any names that I recognize.

When they were first added, I messaged quite a few matches, but to date I've only had one reply. It certainly hasn't moved my research on at all, - I still have a Brickwall on my Paternal side:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.