Author Topic: ELLWOOD of Crosby Ravensworth  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
ELLWOOD of Crosby Ravensworth
« on: Tuesday 23 August 05 10:59 BST (UK) »
I am researching Ellwoods who lived for a time at Blasterfield Crosby Ravensworth. I have:

John Ellwood b1807 Bongate marr 16/12/1840 (Kirkby Stephen) Margaret Richardson nee Paker b1817 Warcop. When first married they lived at Smardale.

Their children are: Mary Ann b1842 KS, Isabella b1844 CR, Elizabeth b 1846 CR, Margaret b CR, John b1851 CR, Thomas Parker b1854 CR, Michael b1856 & William Henry b1861 CR.

William Henry continued to farm at Blasterfield after his father's death in 1884. Margaret Ellwood and her daughters Isabella & Elizabeth moved to Town End Terrace in Orton.

Both John & Margaret were widowed when they married. I have never been able to find a previous marriage for John Ellwood.

John Ellwood's parents are William Ellwood & Ann Simpson married 27/07/1794 St Michael Appleby. William was a farmer like his son John. William & Ann's children are: Mark b1797, Sarah b1798, Thomas 1801, William b1803, Margaret b1809, John b1807 Bongate, Mary b1813, Elizabeth b1815. All were baptised St Michael's.

I have not been able to find out where William & Ann came from or any more info about them.

Is anyone researching the same family?

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ELLWOOD of Crosby Ravensworth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I do not know anything about your family but go regularly to Smardale on holiday as we have relatives there so if you need photos of anywhere in that area do let me know.   My husband's ancestor was Vicar of Kirkby Stephen many years ago.
Andrea

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 05 23:49 BST (UK) »
Gillian
I just replied to your other query on the other board and saw this.

The 1811 census for Maulds Meaburn township has 3 entries for Ellwood:
                           household      occupation
John Ellwood    1male 1female  husbandry
Wm Ellwood     4male 2female  husbandry
Wm Ellwood     3male 2female  husbandry

The first 2 entries are adjacent in the list and the 3rd entry is 4 entries later.

Deborah

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 05 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the kind offer!!

My John Ellwood was a farmer in Smardale in 1840 (according to his marr cert) and 1841 (according to 1841 census). Unfortunately both documents do not state the name of his farm!!!

If I ever find out, I'll take you up on the offer. As long as the farm is still in existance!!!

Thanks,

Gillian

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 05 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Deaborah,

Thanks for the 1811 Ellwood info. There were cerainly a few of them about. The two William one are interesting as they could be potential fathers of my John.

I have seen your reply to my other thread and have replied.

Thanks,

Gillian

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Well, my sister in law farms one of them and there are several others!
Andrea

Offline David Howie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have only just seen your post and have made a note of your details for John Ellwood.  He was my 3xGt Granduncle.  My mother was born Ellwood.  I came across Blasterfield Farm when researching John Ellwood's probate details, decided to Google it and came across your post.  I have John and Margaret (nee Richardson?) in the 1871 and 1881 census and she is 10 years his junior.  John Ellwood married Margaret Nutt in 1829 in Crosby Ravensworth but she is not the Margaret indicated in the 1871 and 1881 census as she would have been 12 at the time.  I know that a Mathew Ellwood was baptised in Crosby Ravensworth on 29 dec 1839 and his parents were John and Margaret so there is the possibility that Margaret (Nutt) died in childbirth or shortly after giving birth to Mathew as John married Magaret Richardson in Dec 1940.  I have some details for his father William Ellwood as William was my 4xGt Grandfather. He was born in Felldikes (Farm?) and baptised in St Michael's, Appleby.  I do not have any details for Ann Simpson before she married William.  Happy to share information if you are still interested

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Welcome to Rootschat & thanks for your reply! I see that you are descended from William Ellwood the father of my John Ellwood. John Ellwood married Margaret Parker in 1840 at Kirkby Stephen. Margaret was a widow as she had previously married Septimus Richardson with whom she had a son Septimus Richardson. John Ellwood was also a widower in 1840 but I have never found his first marriage.

What is your line from William Ellwood?

I am descended from John Ellwood, then his daughter Isabella Ellwood, her dau Margaret Ellwood (illegitimate) my gt grandmother.

I have a lot of info about the Ellwood family of Blasterfield. Even after all this time, I have no more info about Ann Simpson the wife of William!

Best regards

Gillian

Offline David Howie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 July 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Gillian, 

This is developing very quickly!  I am descended from John's brother Mark (b1794), his son William (b1819), then George Luke (b1862), then my grandfather George William (b1885).  Mark moved to Brownedge Farm in the Arkholme area of the Lune Valley in the early 1840s (or before).  William and George Luke were Gardeners in Priest Hutton and Lancaster.  George William was a Wheelright and brought up in Lancaster.  I was born near Carnforth and since 1939 brought up in Lancaster.  I did not know much about John Ellwood until today and now have a new line to research!