Author Topic: Looking for grave & burial of Jane Fisher (immigrated from Ireland  (Read 3503 times)

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for grave & burial of Jane Fisher (immigrated from Ireland
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Hoping someone can shed a light??

I am looking for the death & grave of my GGG grandmother Jane Fisher

Jane born Jane McBride in Allsaints, County Donegal, Ireland in 1816 Married Samuel Fisher and immigrated to New South Wales, Australia in 1841 on ship: Helen.
They had children in Sydney but in 1853 - Samuel became unaccountable for his wifes' debts (I think they may have separated)

Although Samuel in buried in Waverley Cemetery - Jane is not with him.
I can't find any record of her???
(Maybe - hospital. asylum or gaol????)

So would appreciate if anyone can assist???

Thanks & regards Michelle
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for grave & burial of Jane Fisher (immigrated from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 05:43 BST (UK) »
I think she was not mentally well in 1853.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/27926918

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
There are a number of digitised documents regarding Jane Fisher confined and released  Darlinghurst Gaol.

The latest I see which I think is probably the same woman is 1875.

Perhaps you have these records.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparrett,
Yes I also agree I only found this out a couple of days ago and I do believe she was mentally unwell. Thank you though for letting me (I just did not want to dwell on this. I figure it was after this time in gaol that she died but I have exhausted all avenues as to what I ca think of to find where she is buried and where she died.

I only wish I could get a certificate but without a trace I can't.

So any suggestion is of help and much appreciated
Thank you again
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
NSW ... Sydney .... infirm female Asylums ....

From 1862 to mid 1880s ... Hyde Park Asylum then they were moved to Newington Female Asylum.

In that era,  Sydney University may have received bodies to assist in practical lessons for training or research purposes.

I t is half past midnight, I will try to do some initial lookup efforts  before mid morning to see if I can help further. 

Perhaps the thread could be moved from The Common Room to the Australia Board?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you majm for assisting me with this.

If the question is better off on the Australian board (please can I have assistance as I have no idea how to do this?? Still learning & I think I am only realising?? Is this wonderful Rootschat based in the UK?? )
 You are always so helpful & I fully appreciate this. Thank you

I was thinking asylum type records?? But Blimey I had no idea (and should have thought about medical students utilising bodies) This is so sad to think of this & that I may never find Jane.

Thanks again

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 00:47 BST (UK) »
 I will use the report to moderator button and ask them to move it to Australia.  :)

Yes,  if you Google NSW Female Asylums in Sydney  for females there should be background info.  I will check some of my offline resources to look further.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 01:00 BST (UK) »
Between 1862 and 1886 the Hyde Park Barracks was used as an Asylum for Infirm and Destitute Women.  It was, in that sense, the first government funded refuge for women, and up to 200 women could be cared for at any one time. 

Google tells me that a recent Western Sydney Uni Master of Arts (Honours) student submitted a thesis on the Hyde Park Asylum covering 1862-1886.   :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 02:45 BST (UK) »
Re Samuel,  the Sydney Morning Herald 19 Feb 1880 has a funeral announcement.  Is it for your Samuel?  It does not make any mention by name of his immediate family... It mentions that the funeral was to move from the residence of Mrs Stacy, Albert St Paddington to Waverley Cemetery.

Back in 1841, the immigration papers per the Helen, departing Liverpool, England, for Samuel and Jane Fisher give details about their parents.  That info can be helpful when checking for deaths in NSW.

Samuel was son of James FISHER and Ann BRADLEY, he was aged 28, and a Presbyterian.  Jane FISHER, his wife aged 25,  was the daughter of John MCBRIDE  and Sarah HOOD, oops ADD and a Presbyterian....

The NSW bdm online index has the 1880 death registration for Samuel FISHER  with parents as James and Ann registered Paddington #3773, with date of 17 February.  :) so the informant knew the names of Samuels parents.  The informant may have known other information recorded on the d.c, including his marriage to Jane.  It may even note her as deceased, although it was  not a formal requirement to note if the spouse was then living.

I think the Mrs STACY of Albert St was likely Sarah A STACEY, nee FISHER, who was married in 1872.

Likely you have much of the above, but it can be sensible to share with the regulars on the Australia Board to give background.

JM  :)