Author Topic: Looking for grave & burial of Jane Fisher (immigrated from Ireland  (Read 3511 times)

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for grave & burial of Jane Fisher (immigrated from Ireland
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 May 20 03:08 BST (UK) »
Oh JM you make me giggle.
I hope the double lot of date loaf worked (my dear nan use to make this and I haven't had it since a child - feel free to send me some - LOL)

How frustrating - not for me but for you with the box.
I can't believe you are going to so much trouble - which I appreciate VERY much.

Hopefully you find the box!! I hate when I can't find things.
Have a terrific weekend & I have copied onto my own notes in regards to the Female Destitute Asylum. (Never know when I might need to know this - I keep everything

Thank you Michelle
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 18 June 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

Sorry I cant help with your search for the grave but I am wondering if I have a connection to your Fisher Family from Donegal.

Mary Ann Robinson, her brother William Robertson and wife Jane Fisher all arrived on the Percy in 1841. Jane Fisher was born in Donegal but it appears she may have married at the Presbyterian 1st Derry Church in 1840 as a marriage was found there (Robinson were from Derry) for William Robinson to Jane Fisher and the witnesses are Samuel and Jane Fisher. I am thinking that your Samuel and Jane were the witness at Jane Fisher's marriage and that Samuel is Jane's brother.

This is because both your Samuel Fisher wife Jane McBride and William Robertson (Robinson) wife Jane Fisher arrived in Australia the same year, both are connected by county Donegal and Samuel and Jane  Fisher were the witnesses at Jane Fisher's marriage to William.

Jane Fisher's (wife of William Robertson/Robinson) Immigration records say Father: James and Mother: Ann

Kind Regards,

Wayne Cook
Newcastle NSW Australia

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 18 June 21 12:56 BST (UK) »
I just looked and Samuel Fisher who arrived 21 July 1841 (his parents were James Fisher and Ann Bradley both deceased). So even the parents first names also match, Jane Fisher who married William Robinson.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 19 June 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried seeing if she is buried near her sister Eliza McBride who arrived age 17 and unmarried on the "Helen" 21 July 1841 with Samuel Fisher and Jane McBride?

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 19 June 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM has an Ann Fisher death in 1856 reference number 5329/1856 V18565329 122A with no other details online. A transcript may help as it may have more info about where died etc. but it is strange that not even a district is mentioned.

Which might tie in with this previous post "A Presbyterian boy named Samuel FISHER who was aged 6 years in 1856 was admitted to the Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children in 1856.

Have you seen that record?

In case you have not, I will give the details
Samuel FISHER. Admitted June 19th 1856. Aged 6. Religion P. Can read-No. Can write- No.
Place of birth NSW.

Description Mother dead deserted by the father who is at the Victoria diggings.

29th September 1856. Discharged to the service of Mrs SMALE , Grafton. Indentured. Signed.
Sue"

Samuel Fisher born NSW 1849 mother: Jane, Father: Samuel (this is the only Samuel Fisher born in NSW who would have been 6yo in 1856 but there are two registration numbers with the same parents names so probably registered twice)

If she died in Sydney itself than the Devonshire Street Cemetery (Sydney Burial Ground) closed in 1888 and this Cemetery was "relocated" for the extension of Central Railway Station.

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 20 June 21 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne,
Firstly HUGE thank you!!!!
It is a fantastic thing that you took the time to read and look at this. I am very appreciative of this.

No matter how much or little information is I always follow it up & anything can assist as you never know.

At first I was confused when reading this!! THEN it struck me what you were explaining.
That Jane Fisher is most 'probably' the 'sister of Samuel.
(DO you know I have poured over thousands of records till I was blind & had not seen this (Fresh eyes are fabulous) I have always known he must have brothers or sisters (unless the famine took them) but could find no connection anywhere.
I have no doubt you have made this connection with Jane being a sister ( I think the concrete evidence is Jame & Ann (nee Bradley) being her parents as well.
So when it comes to Eliza McBride (born 1824)
I cannot find a thing?? There is also Mary McBride (born 1823) Can't find any leads either?? (ANy suggestions welcome??)
I tried to find where Eliza was buried as I thought along this line BUT have no records of either of these 2 girls??
So thank you with Samuel (a lovely person on here helped me with him and yes this was their little boy (so sad was left as an orphan - no idea why he was left there but was) but he went onto marry and live out his life in Grafton - I tried contacting members of that family but to no avail. No one answered. I am on My Heritage & I was really the only one who researching this family.
Jane & Samuel had 6 children one boy died, Samuel - I found and James (thanks to a lovely man on Familysearch put the pieces of him together. Jane was my GG gran in Eaglehawk (she went with her dad to gold diggings), Mary died young & Sarah married
Jane (married to Samuel) has an ever so sad story of breakdowns & delusions all recorded in paper & he washed his hands of her.
I certainly thought of Devonshire Street Cemetery (Sydney Burial Ground) as to where Jane might be Samuel is at Waverley with a headstone and even though a Findagraver (I gave persmission to do a rubbing) Headstone is still not be able to be all read) Jane definately not there with them he is near daughter Sarah Ann Stacey(nee Fisher)

Jane was definiately alive in 1875 (this is her) & then disappears - Hence why came up with buried as a pauper ??

New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930
Drunk - 4 days sentence
  Name: Jane Fisher Date of Admission/Photo: 3 May 1875 Gaol: Darlinghurst Gaol Location: Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia Record Type: Entrance Book Mar 3 1875

BUT I wonder about these McBride girls and their story - As I said feel free to through out ideas)

You have definitely opened food for thought

I WISH I could purchase a transcript BUT no record of death - most frustrating - so left hanging - Where is Jane buried.

Thank you so much for you taking the time to assist as I said you most definitely hit the nail I head I think with the sister of Samuel.

Many Many thank Michelle
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 20 June 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

Yes new eyes can do wonders and often we can go over the same info. I believe I have the marriages for Samuel Fisher to Jane McBride, John McBride to Sarah Hood and Jane Fisher to William Robinson  (all in Derry).

I explained the way I did because I go back to Mary Ann Robinson the sister of William Robinson/Robertson who married Jane Fisher and that was how I discovered the connection (I actually googled Jane Fisher 1815 Donegal Ireland and this thread came up in the google search).

I then used your info about Samuel Fisher and Jane McBride arriving on the "Helen" in 1841 to see if they were the witnesses of William Robinson and Jane Fisher's marriage in Derry 1840 and if so, was he her brother.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 20 June 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Did you try these marriages for Eliza McBride

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?3

In my case Mary Ann Robinson arrived 17 yo in 1841 (With William Robertson and Jane Fisher) but she didn't marry until 1849

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 21 June 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is worth looking for a 2nd marriage for Eliza McBride.

I would do this by looking at marriages for Eliza with both of these married Surnames and then seeing if an Eliza with a different surname dies with the same parents as,Eliza McBride and then look for an obit plus see if there were any births of an Eliza with the first married Surname with the same parents names as Eliza McBride.