Author Topic: Death Certs. MacDonald in Moidart (Argyll/Inverness-Shire)  (Read 6318 times)

Offline alanbraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Old Ronald and Dog' knoydart
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certs. MacDonald in Moidart (Argyll/Inverness-Shire)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Yes Catherine, Clementina and Margaret Ann were from her second husband Angus Macdonald and Angus, Ena and John from her first Marriage to John Macdonald.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dusty719

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 November 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, I'm trying to find out some information about my Grandfather's MacDonald, Moidart, line and saw that you have a death cert. listed for Jessie 85 in 1916, Glenuig. I'm trying to trace the Hugh/Euan MacDonald connections but am finding it tricky to get more information. If you have any information, tips or thoughts I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Will need to dig out the details if you can bare with me.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 November 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Me again  :)  Have got the cert now. Where have you to to on your searches so far?  What is it you are trying to find in particular.

Had a little look around and see birth registrations post the start of official registrations in Scotland in 1855. Looks like Hugh and Jessie were married before this date. The birth cert for son Dugald in 1855 should include date and place of their marriage along with useful info. The first year of official registration, certs ran over two pages of the register. They had two sons called Dugald, the second born in 1857 and both alive and well in 1861...they look to like the name!

Janet/Jessie showed as widow to Hugh by 1916. Her son Dugald reported her death. Do you have this cert? If not, happy to send it to you. She may already have been a widow much earlier. From 1901:

Janet Mcdonald 73 Retired Crofter b. Ardnamurchan
Angus Mcdonald 35 son post master b. Moidart
Maggie Mcdonald 31daughter post master b. Moidart
Christina Kennedy 17 grandchild b. Moidart

Address: Glenuig Postoffice, Acharacle

I also look to have daughter Margaret's death reg:

1919 / Margaret / 49 / None / Glenuig / Hugh / Janet MacPhee

The Post Office in Glenuig in now a Catergory B Listed Building, https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/200330524-glenuig-post-office-fort-william-and-ardnamurchan-ward#.W_MlUTGYTIU

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 November 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
A reference here to the MacDonald family and the Glenuig Post office:

Newspaper cutting
Glenuig Postman
28/9/00 1895 2000
Glenuig postman
Angus MacDonald postman from 1895 to 1934. Travelled Lochailort to Glenuig on pony, 'Johnny'. Photo taken at Glenshian bridge. MacDonald family ran Glenuig post office till death of Jean Kennedy, postmistress, about 1987.
Scots Magazine , ca 1989

www.moidart.org.uk/archives/landscapearchive.htm

Monica