Author Topic: Well Done FreeReg!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Well Done FreeReg!
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Whilst using FreeReg this morning, I found a couple of entries where a child seemed to have been baptised before they were born. I checked the entries on Ancestry and, as expected, one or other of the dates had been wrongly transcribed. I reported the errors and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a response within 15 minutes to say the entries had been corrected!

Excellent service!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Well Done FreeReg!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
That's really nice to hear. We're all so used to hearing that sites either take forever to take note of  errors, and correct them, or simply ignore them, that it's lovely to hear good things.

Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
That`s good work !

A cousin reported to Freecen at least 3  years ago about a mis-spelling of a family surname, it`s still not been changed.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
To be fair, Freereg, Freecen and FreeBMD are all run by volunteers. I think we should all be very grateful for the work put in by the volunteers - and ideally do some transcribing or indexing ourselves!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, I am very grateful for what all the volunteer run sites do!

I would have been happy if it had only taken them a week to make the change -- but for it to happen in a mere 15 minutes was, I thought,  such excellent service that I felt it warranted a public thank you!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, I am very grateful for what all the volunteer run sites do!

I would have been happy if it had only taken them a week to make the change -- but for it to happen in a mere 15 minutes was, I thought,  such excellent service that I felt it warranted a public thank you!
Exactly....it was the comment in post #2  that I was referring to (and failed to quote)
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I totally agree that the volunteers do a wonderful job. I`m extremely grateful to them.

I really was trying to make the point (unsuccessfully) that the FreeReg change was very good work. The FreeCen one I mentioned may have just been overlooked.

I`ve given myself a slap on the wrist for offending volunteers.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
... and I was referring to the tardiness of a certain well-known, paid for service we all know, that can take a l-o-n-g time, or even fail to amend entries!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast is quite good for doing amendments, I have had some done the same day  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk