Author Topic: TIPS please for locating details on WW2 soldiers, Shropshire Light Infantry etc  (Read 1354 times)

guest259648

Re: TIPS please for locating details on WW2 soldiers, Shropshire Light Infantry etc
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials is showing 967 hits for a search for memorials in Shropshire?

...that's interesting... When I go in, it offers me 30 counties, but Shropshire isn't among them. How are you searching? I can't be using the right technique! x

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TIPS please for locating details on WW2 soldiers, Shropshire Light Infantry etc
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials is showing 967 hits for a search for memorials in Shropshire?

...that's interesting... When I go in, it offers me 30 counties, but Shropshire isn't among them. How are you searching? I can't be using the right technique! x

I entered "Shropshire" for my search! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

guest259648

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Just recapping - have you searched the CWGC site and do you know the first names/initials of the Richards and Parry you are looking for?  (You said in an earlier post that "you don't think it [the CWGC site] deals with ….." which sounds as if you perhaps haven't actually looked?

MaxD

MaxD you're very observant :-) I've spent a whole week trying to get to grips with how best to search the CWGC site. However I am hampered by the 'hazy' and very sparse details with which I'm trying to work.  And the first names I have of the 2 'missing' men are possibly nicknames they would have used in the army, and not their actual ones.

What I have is "Sergeant Phil Parry from the Shropshire Rifles, from Ludlow", and "Geraint Richards from the Welch Fusiliers, mortar crew."

As a researcher I always assume that given spellings can be wrong, and people's memories can easily be faulty, so there needs to be quite a bit of flexibility in the search.

I've also been told that 'Shropshire Rifles' is a loose title and can translate into various things..

What IS definite is that they were not around/alive after August 1944, and they could have died between Jun - Aug 44, most probably in the areas very close to the east-most Normandy beaches (Arromanches, Graye, Courseulles).

Is there a way to narrow this down, and carry out a more useful search?
D x

guest259648

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:18 BST (UK) »

hahahaha  I wonder why my own screen didn't display the same thing?  I have it now :-)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
I've had a look on CWGC with search terms UK, Army, after 1/1/1944, Richards; and the same for Parry. The results returned aren't huge in number but none match the names you're looking for.

Regimental museums tend not to have info on individuals, but it might be worth contacting them anyway - Royal Welch Fusiliers at Caerarfon

"Shropshire Rifles" I think refers to the King's Shropshire Light Infantry; museum is Soldiers of Shropshire at Shrewsbury.

There's a fair chance that you'll get no reply for the time being!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
A similar search to Graham using P Parry and G Richards yields no Phil or Philip for the first or Geraint for the second or connections with either variation to Shropshire or any Welsh regiment or indeed any other regiment.  The search for Shropshire also included the Royal Artillery as both the Shropshire Yeomanry and the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery became Royal Artillery units right at the star of the war.

This would suggest that your CWGC searches with those names and (sort of) regiments) was fine.   

As far as war diaries are concerned, it is very seldom that they mention individual soldiers by name which is yet another problem.  KSLI had two battalions in Normandy plus another that had become Royal Artillery, the Welch Fusiliers had three battalions in Normandy so your thought about specific battles in Normandy would entail a major piece of research and the end result won't tell you anything about the individuals at all.

Your difficulties are what you have already acknowledged  - no clear name therefore no birth date or death date, no regiment.  Frankly an impossible task from the military records point of view unless you are able from local sources to identify the men.

Picking up another quote of yours - What IS definite is that they were not around/alive after August 1944,  Where does that info come from and does the source not know any more?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

guest259648

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
A similar search to Graham using P Parry and G Richards yields no Phil or Philip for the first or Geraint for the second or connections with either variation to Shropshire or any Welsh regiment or indeed any other regiment.  The search for Shropshire also included the Royal Artillery as both the Shropshire Yeomanry and the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery became Royal Artillery units right at the star of the war.

This would suggest that your CWGC searches with those names and (sort of) regiments) was fine.   

As far as war diaries are concerned, it is very seldom that they mention individual soldiers by name which is yet another problem.  KSLI had two battalions in Normandy plus another that had become Royal Artillery, the Welch Fusiliers had three battalions in Normandy so your thought about specific battles in Normandy would entail a major piece of research and the end result won't tell you anything about the individuals at all.

Your difficulties are what you have already acknowledged  - no clear name therefore no birth date or death date, no regiment.  Frankly an impossible task from the military records point of view unless you are able from local sources to identify the men.

Picking up another quote of yours - What IS definite is that they were not around/alive after August 1944,  Where does that info come from and does the source not know any more?

MaxD

Max D, many thanks for searching on my behalf.
The 'source' is information from a series of hand-written notes made some years ago, which I haven't had chance to follow up until recently. (I'm now retired.) The info. was given to me by another person whom I fully trusted.

I am 100% convinced these 2 men existed, otherwise I wouldn't be putting in so much effort to try and find records. But I'm not a Forces expert, so I had no idea where to look.

Based on the notes, I can narrow down the RICHARDS death/disappearance to between 6 June 1944 and probably 24 or 25 June 1944.  'Welch Fusiliers mortar crew' or variant on this. So [using my imagination] it seems he could have been a casualty of D-day itself, or was washed ashore later (or found in the water) but was unrecognisable, or came to grief on boats coming into the beaches during the next couple of weeks, or was lost a short way inland.

The 'Geraint' could easily have been a nickname, or a middle name. So, to begin, I need a Richards (any initials), British soldier, who enlisted into that particular fighting group, was alive on 6.6.44 but was not seen after the last week in June. The numbers can't be huge.

An 'impossible' task, you think... but I never quit! I don't mind a difficult and lengthy piece of research. My main aim would be to prove that these men did exist and were in Normandy at that time.