Author Topic: Elizabeth Wright parentage  (Read 1118 times)

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Wright parentage
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Elizabeth Wright married George Godwin 1847 in Swindon (the image is on ancestry.co.uk)

I believe her parents to be Susanna Ricks and Joseph Wright, and she was born 1825 in Wanborough

However, on the marriage certificate, Joseph Wright is not stated as her father. He was still alive when she got married, and her brother Henry Wright also witnessed the marriage.

I'm just wondering why her father's name wouldn't have been recorded? George's father Jonas is.
Can anyone suggest anything?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Wright parentage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Elizabeth Wright married George Godwin 1847 in Swindon (the image is on ancestry.co.uk)

I believe her parents to be Susanna Ricks and Joseph Wright,

Why?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
The censuses of George Godwin and Elizabeth state that Elizabeth is born around 1825 in Wanborough, Wiltshire.

Searching the records, there is an Elizabeth Wright in Wanborough born 1825 to parents Joseph Wright and Susanna

Joseph Wright married Susanna Ricks 1820 in Wanborough and they had 7 other children, one of whom was a Henry Wright. (a Henry Wright witnessed Elizabeth Wright's marriage.)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
However, on the marriage certificate, Joseph Wright is not stated as her father.

Maybe they had a falling out and she didn't acknowledge him. 

Marriage transcribed as "Weight" for anyone looking. 

Have you found Elizabeth in 1841 with who you think her parents are?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
That's the only thing I can think of myself! I just find it interesting her brother was there too to witness. As George's father is named, I can only think that she either just didn't name him in time for it to be entered on the register?

Joseph and Susanna (transcribed as Ebright on ancestry)
are in Little Hinton in 1841
with their children Henry, William and Ann

Elizabeth and their other children are not present. I found an Elizabeth Wright b abt 1826 living in Swindon in 1841 (and she married in Swindon in 1847) which is possibly her

Some more notes:

when Susanna Wright dies in 1882, her will says that  it was proved by "Ann Amelia Wright , the sole executrix."

This is strange because Elizabeth did not die until 1913, and William did not die until 1900

Children of Joseph and Susanna for reference:
Christopher 1820-???
Henry 1822-1879
Jane 1823-1860
Elizabeth 1825-1913
William 1828-1900
Ann Amelia 1831-1912
Thomas 1834-1834
Susanna 1838-1860

Ann Amelia and William left their money to their spouses in their wills.

Joseph Wright died in 1870 and left his money to Ann Amelia, and his nephew by marriage, James Albert Deacon.

When Henry Wright gets married to Sarah Townsend in Tetbury in 1852 he does state his father as Joseph Wright, labourer, and a William Wright (presumably his brother), is witness.

Interestingly, Elizabeth named two of her children Susanna or Anna/Hannah Amelia, suggesting some family continuity, as they do not feature in husband George Godwin's family. 

I cannot find any other Elizabeth Wright in the Wanborough baptism registers (on ancestry), and I've assumed this is her family- I'm just intrigued that Joseph isn't mentioned on her marriage!

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 23:28 BST (UK) »
Update: Just looked over the other Wright children's marriages, and Ann Amelia's marriage to George Pratt in 1896  (names her father as Joseph, labourer, although doesn't mention he died some years previously) has Arabella Caroline Bryant as the witness.

Arabella Caroline was the daughter of Elizabeth Wright and George Godwin (she married William Bryant.)

So it looks as though this is the right family. If Arabella Caroline was at her aunt's wedding, then I wonder at the strained relationships in the family. Perhaps it was just between Elizabeth and her father Joseph!

Although, Mary Jane Godwin who is Elizabeth's daughter (called just Jane on the census) is living with Joseph Wright in 1861.

Maybe it was a temporary falling out or the person writing down the marriage details genuinely forgot? Originally I wondered if the strike through suggested she was illegitimate.