Author Topic: Blackburn old street names?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline ChrisDLancs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackburn old street names?
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, Im new to the forum but hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a query Ive been struggling to answer for a while.

Im currently researching an historic murder that took place in Blackburn in the late 1800s and trying to pin down (within reason) the rough spot where the victim as found.  I keep coming across the term CINDER LANE or CINDER PATH in the newspapers from the time (Ive signed up to the british newspaper archive) and gone through endless amounts of inquests into what Im researching but I cannot for the life of me match up Cinder Lane or Cinder Path anywhere in Blackburn when using modern maps (google maps etc) ..  Does anyone possibly know Blackburn in Lancashire at all and perhaps know of Cinder Lane or Path?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blackburn old street names?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Can you give the details of the murder, or the newspaper reference? For this kind of query it helps to have all the details.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisDLancs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 May 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Can you give the details of the murder, or the newspaper reference? For this kind of query it helps to have all the details.

Stan

Hi Stan

The murder was that of Emily Holland which took place in 1876.  William Fish was the murderer.  I know he killed her in his barber shop at 3 moss Lane and dumped her torso in a field at Bastwell. But apparently he walked along Cinder Path / Lane before reaching the field.  If I could pin point where this lane was I will have pretty much a 90% chance of finding where exactly the body was placed along that part of Bastwell.   There is a newspaper illustration showing a small map that was written inside the Illustrated Police News in May 1876 that I'm using but I just cannot match up this Cinder Parh to any recent walkways or roads.

Kind regards

Chris

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
If this relates to the murder of Emily Hollland in 1876 ?

The location the body was found is described as "under a wall in a field on Lower Ouze Booth Farm, adjoining the well known "Cinder Path" (from The Blackburn Standard 19/8/1876)

It sounds like this was describing an unmade track or path, not a named road.

The body was found by a man living in "Bastwell Terrace" which I can't see on old maps, but probably is part of, or refers, to "Bastwell Road" which still runs from Whalley New Road to approximately where Lower Oozebooth Farm was at the time.

Somewhere about here ...https://goo.gl/maps/jUKUp4UaHhCGkkcX7

Old maps of the area can be accessed on the National Library of Scotland website https://maps.nls.uk/

there is a good article about the murder and the investigation on the cottontown.org website in the Law & order section.

( I was brought up in Blackburn and many ancestors lived in that area).

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
If this relates to the murder of Emily Hollland in 1876 ?

The location the body was found is described as "under a wall in a field on Lower Ouze Booth Farm, adjoining the well known "Cinder Path" (from The Blackburn Standard 19/8/1876)

It sounds like this was describing an unmade track or path, not a named road.

The body was found by a man living in "Bastwell Terrace" which I can't see on old maps, but probably is part of, or refers, to "Bastwell Road" which still runs from Whalley New Road to approximately where Lower Oozebooth Farm was at the time.

Somewhere about here ...https://goo.gl/maps/jUKUp4UaHhCGkkcX7

Old maps of the area can be accessed on the National Library of Scotland website https://maps.nls.uk/

there is a good article about the murder and the investigation on the cottontown.org website in the Law & order section.

( I was brought up in Blackburn and many ancestors lived in that area).

See https://maps.nls.uk/view/126517760#zoom=6&lat=3153&lon=6321&layers=BT

Lower Ouzebooth Farm is still there see https://goo.gl/maps/pk7fRPzrz9H6Zq628

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Cinder Path is in quotes in the newspaper article which means it is not a proper street name, just a local name, and as AntonyMMM says it is an unmade track or path.

Stan

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
I have just read the article on the Cottontown website mentioned by AntonyMMM

http://www.cottontown.org/Health%20and%20Welfare/Pages/Law-and-Order.aspx#6

I was born in the Bastwell/ Seven Trees area of Blackburn, but never knew the full story of this murder - only that a barber on Moss St - had committed the gruesome crime. I was interested to read on Cottontown, that it was the first time a bloodhound had been used to solve such a crime.

Some years later, in the 1940s - there was the murder of another child in the town, June Ann Devaney -- and in that case, my understanding is, that all the men in Blackburn were fingerprinted - and the murder solved by these means. It was the first time also, that fingerprinting on such a scale had been undertaken.

I don't like to think of my little home town being famous for 2 such 'firsts'.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Also on the Cottontown website is a photo of the gravestone of Emily Holland. According to the accompanying article, Emily's name was removed to prevent sightseers.

The image below is provided by courtesy of Gordon Hartley for the Cottontown Digitisation Project.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON