Author Topic: Interesting video backgrounds  (Read 790 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Interesting video backgrounds
« on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I confess I am a bit of a nosey parker and I have enjoyed watching videos posted by politicians, TV presenters and just ordinary people in these lockdown times.  I'm fascinated by their choice of backgrounds.  Many politicians choose bookshelves, either a roomful or in the case of IDS one single narrow bookcase in front of which he carefully places himself in the middle.  Some bookcases are tidily kept, others all higgledy-piggledy, with papers, photos and ornaments tucked in.  I wish I could see the photos more clearly...  Furnishings and pictures are interesting, too.  Matt Hancock appears to have a Damian Hirst circular picture of the Queen  (original or print??).  In former times interviewees would be placed near a lamp and a plant or vase of flowers, but that's old hat now.  Quite a few people, including the Archbishop of Canterbury, speak from their kitchen.  Interesting to see their choice of cupboards and kitchenalia. 
I know I am quite careful during Zoom chats to have a nice but neutral background.  What's yours?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting video backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
My daughter told us how to put an artificial background on a Zoom meeting although we haven't managed to do it successfully yet. She addressed us with a giant llama peering over her shoulder which caused amusement - but later told us the following day she had had quite an important Zoom work meeting with foreign clients - but only after it started realised she hadn't removed the llama  ;D
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
I spend more time looking at the books, furnishings etc. and then haven’t got a clue what they were talking about  ::)
Someone this morning had her camera angled to show the corner of the walls where it met the ceiling, most disappointing, not a book or picture to be seen  :(
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
My daughter told us how to put an artificial background on a Zoom meeting although we haven't managed to do it successfully yet. She addressed us with a giant llama peering over her shoulder which caused amusement - but later told us the following day she had had quite an important Zoom work meeting with foreign clients - but only after it started realised she hadn't removed the llama  ;D

😁😁😁

Not as embarrassing as the poor chap who forgot to turn his camera off and was caught with no trousers on 😂
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 18:29 BST (UK) »

😁😁😁

Not as embarrassing as the poor chap who forgot to turn his camera off and was caught with no trousers on 😂

:o :o :o ;D
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
I'm feeling inadequate. It's confession time; I have a small bookcase only, oh the shame!.  :-\
I'm sure, though, the people with large, well filled bookcases are, in fact, showing us lesser mortals how well read they are, showing off really.
When on Zoom my background consists of my neutral coloured dining room walls with, in the distance and hanging on the wall, a photo frame with photos of my ancestors, namely my paternal and maternal grandfathers, my dad as a 4 year old with his siblings and my uncle in his RWF uniform after joining up in 1915. He didn't come home.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Our family zooms mostly consist of our 3 daughters saying 'Mum, dad, all we can see is the wall, tilt the laptop camera down'  Husband: 'which bit is the camera?'  ;D

I have been quite reassured by how often in the daily briefing from no 10 the relevant spokesperson has had to say to journalists 'er we can't hear you, could you unmute? ' It's not just me then  ;D
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
We've tried to get the different background when on Zoom but so far not succeeded! Our daughter on the other hand and with the great delight of our two grandsons (4 & 7 yrs) they've had a tropical beach, close up on blades of grass and the solar system! They have to put up with our kitchen with nice plates on the wall and a glass shelf with photos and nick nacks on!

If we were feeling really studious we could take the laptop up to the landing where we have an entire wall of bookcases! But that would just be showing off!

I too like to see what pictures people have up and how their book cases look... says a lot about others !

It surprises me how inept some of the journalists are with not having the sound on, not being able to see them properly or far too close that you're looking up their noses!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 May 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
Go on Caw1, let’s see it!

This is my Zoom background,  one of 4 bookcases in the house, but the most photogenic
NOT my genealogy shelves obviously!

1. Is my 1st edition Georgette Heyer  collection. (I am not ashamed to admit it lol)
2.  Fiction alphabetical by author
3. Children’s books. A selection decided upon at a family meeting lol.   some from my childhood, some of which were my mother’s (little women etc, can you spot them?), some my children’s.
4. Nonfiction