Author Topic: Arthur Ernest Smith & Amy Harrington  (Read 2776 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Ernest Smith & Amy Harrington
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 June 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Harry Harrington death certificate in Philadlephia gives 6/9/1879

Henry Harrington - Baptism Date: 28 Sep 1879
Baptism Place: Bethnal Green St James the Great, Tower Hamlets.
Father James Harrington  - Mother: Hannah Harrington

1891 census says Henry was born Old Ford  - Old Ford is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 June 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra.
Thanks again, you really are trying hard. I can see there is a Henry H born London abt same time who married Viola. He is the one who died Philadelphia.
Mine was def with Elizabeth (Edith) Middleton. I have photos, dates etc from my cousin, his grand daughter who is very thorough in her research.
I have looked on Familysearch & one person has this couple in the wrong place in two census's? I know because I have them in correct place. I have messaged so will see if they get in touch?
I am wandering if the bapt you sent is for the other Henry Harrington that married Viola & someone has attached the names James & Hannah as parents? I know you feel the months fit & I understand why. But I still believe the one I want was born 1880. It's quite a common name around that area.
I am happy to message you directly if you know how to do that? I struggle with this site.
Thanks Diana

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 June 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
About Ernest....

GRO has
Ernest Harrington
Sep qtr 1884
Orsett 4a Page 335
MMN Pope

Orsett registration district is in Essex. This quarter matches the birthdate in the baptism record that *Sandra* posted earlier.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 June 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Polar Bear.
Many thanks for that. I've seen that one, but disregarded it because the bapt gives dob as follows:-
Name:   
Ernest Harrington
Event Type:   
Christening
Event Date:   
9 Mar 1885
Event Place:   
Essex, England, United Kingdom
Birth Date:   
27 Feb 1884
Father's Name:   
James Harrington
Mother's Name:   
Hannah Harrington
Record Number:   

This is a long time after the given birth date to register the birth? The bapt was quite a while, but then that's not that unusual. The family only seem to of been in Essex a short time before moving to Kent.

So the big mystery is where does Ernest go after 1901????????

Thank you for your help, I will accept that birth as correct as it gives mmn Pope, which I couldn't view on Familysearch.

Regards Doidy

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 June 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
Ance*try doesn't have an image to view but their transcription for the baptism date of 09 Mar 1885 for Ernest has his birthdate as 27 July 1884. Parents James and Hannah. Plaistow St Andrew Parish Records.

PB

Edited: just realized *Sandra* posted these dates earlier.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
About Henry....

GRO has
Henry Harrington
Poplar Dec qtr 1879 1C 608
MMN Pope

This registration would match the dates related to the death and baptism info posted earlier by *Sandra*.

PB

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Polar Bear.

Thank you for that transcript for Ernest's bapt, that seems to tie in better. Guess Familysearch got that one incorrectly transcribed? I know these things happen.

Re Henry, I have been given his dob as 21 July 1880, but not found the birth. On his memorial it shows 21 July 1884. At least the day & month are consistent, though only as gd as the info handed down. 1884 is def incorrect as he is with his parents in 1881 census, also his bro Ernest was born 1884. If his birth was 1879, which GRO seems to show, then I wonder why it was reg Dec Q, which means it wouldn't of been reg until after 1 Oct? Again this seems late?

Now records seem to show a Henry Harrington born abt 1879/80 London who married a Voila & went to USA, but my Henry didn't marry Viola, he lived with Elizabeth k/a Edith Middleton who took his name (difficult story). I have them & their family tracked through the census's.

Back to Ernest, where did he go to????????

Many thanks for your help.
Doidy

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
These Henrys are confusing.

The Henry I was referring to just above was the one who died in Philadelphia in 1956 and was apparently married to Viola. His birth year is given as 1879. A birthdate and baptism in Sept of 1879 as posted by *Sandra* earlier would tie in with the Dec 1879 registration with MMN Pope. Parents had 6 weeks in which to register a birth so if the child wasn't registered until 6 weeks or so the registration would fall in the Dec quarter.

PB

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Polar Bear.
But mine had mmn Pope?????? Mine def wasn't married to Viola, nor did he die in Philadelphia. The bapt Sandra gave had parents James & Hannah, which mine did. See how difficult this is??????
Once again thank you. Doidy