Author Topic: Royal Naval Reserve - Unable to Decipher  (Read 414 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Royal Naval Reserve - Unable to Decipher
« on: Wednesday 13 May 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone is familiar with Royal Navy Reserve records.

I would like to understand what the various dates and abbreviations mean and I'm also trying to decipher the notes. Looks like "Went Ashore ? ? ? to join ship"  ???

Thanks so much!
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Naval Reserve - Unable to Decipher
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 19:04 BST (UK) »
Needs higher resolution to be easily readable
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Had trouble uploading the higher resolution. Here are the two sections that I need help with. I'm unable to read the notes and I don't know what the dates next to March '14 refer to.

Thanks very much,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
….and refused xxxxx to join ship

The remaining words can only be something like "an order" or "point blank" but aren't really relevant, the essentials are he went ashore and refused to join the ship.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD  :)
Much appreciated.

I'm also not sure what the dates are that have been annotated next to "March 1914". Perhaps they are attempts to contact/find him?

Thanks for your help,
Glen

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
….and refused xxxxx to join ship

The remaining words can only be something like "an order" or "point blank" but aren't really relevant, the essentials are he went ashore and refused to join the ship.

I believe it is ... went ashore & returned too late to join ship.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
Bookbox you're right! Thank you so much!  :)

I've managed to find the Crew Agreement for that journey and he's simply recorded as "Deserted".

Thanks again,
Glen

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with these RNR documents? Any idea what the faintly written dates mean? They're written to the left of 'March 1914' in the 'Finally Disposed Of' column.

Thanks for your help,
Glen