Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 320 times)

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Westerby, 11th Hussars, my great great uncle
    • View Profile
DNA testing
« on: Thursday 14 May 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have to admit that I don't know very much about DNA testing and I can see from posts on here that people are well into it. So here is my dilemma. I have a second cousin. She is descended from Thomas Drummond who was her great grandfather. The line goes like this: Thomas Drummond - Margaret Drummond - Sarah her daughter - Tracy my 2nd cousin. We are trying to ascertain whether I am descended from him or not: Thomas Drummond - Charlotte Drummond - John her son - Me.

We don't think that Thomas Drummond fathered Charlotte, so we think that Charlotte Drummond and Margaret Drummond were half-sister as opposed to being full sisters (they definitely had the same mother).

Would a one of these Ancestry DNA tests for me and one for Tracy determine that does anyone know, or it is a waste of money as you can't really determine that?

NORTHUMBERLAND/DURHAM: Westerby, Kirkland, Younghusband, Brown, Beck, Leith, Dixon, Gilroy, Roseburgh, Sheriff, Shield, Turnbull, Renwick
YORKSHIRE: Westerby
CANADA: Delahoy, Westerby

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 20 10:32 BST (UK) »
It would be likely to give you a good idea of your relationship with her if you both tested with the same firm.

See this for the possible range of shared DNA for various relationships:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

The amount that I share with my second cousins does vary quite a lot within the range given.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 May 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
You would need to put a bit of time and effort into understanding and following up the results, but it should give you a very good starting point for solving your question.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn