Author Topic: Isabel Henrietta Lambert  (Read 2036 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel Henrietta Lambert
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 May 20 03:17 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1902 HUME, polling at Humula
Jane LAMBERT, Oberne, domestic duties
Annie BUTTERFIELD, Oberne, domestic duties
Arthur BUTTERFIELD, Oberne, farmer
John Edmund BUTTERFIELD, Oberne, farmer
Phoebe BUTTERFIELD, Oberne, domestic duties
none with surname SUTTON listed at that polling place.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 20 03:46 BST (UK) »
Good sleuthing, JM!

I'm not seeing a marriage in NSW for Isabel and Leslie.

I think seeing the death certificate for Isabel may shed further light.  As she died at a relatively young age and was obviously still with Leslie I suspect he would have given the information on that certificate - JM has listed the information requested for a death certficate in NSW and there is much more about a person's family than UK certificates.  You can order a transcript which is emailed to you and is cheaper and quicker than requesting from the NSW BMD.  There are 3 transcription agents and they are all excellent. 
https://www.nsw.gov.au/topics/family-history-search/ancestry-research

I cannot see any death in NSW for Leslie up to 1990, nor the marriage for Isabel and Leslie.

Electoral rolls are not much help -
Leslie and Isabel are shown in 1943 at Bydown St, Neutral Bay, the same address given in the death notice.
Probably, as in the same area and same occupation (labourer) 1949,  Leslie Pattison at 36 Jeffreys St, Milson's Point, NSW

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 20 05:25 BST (UK) »
On another thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=555741.msg6515431#msg6515431  Mentions the surnames LAMBERT and SUTTON and John Edward BUTTERFIELD.

NSW BDM has John E BUTTERFIELD's death registered in the Adelong district, 1910,  ref #4344.

ADD
I mention this in case others are searching for Isabel's origins ...  IF born in NSW, perhaps her mum was Jane or Sarah nee Lambert.  There's a private tree submitted online at Ancestry that includes Isabel Henrietta SUTTON/LAMBERT as one of 21 people on that tree.  It has her birth as 1898 Tumut, New South Wales, Australia and the name of the tree is "Lee family tree"

ADD more
There's errrrrrr .... 88 submitted trees at present that mention John BUTTERFIELD dying 27 April 1910, and with SUTTON/LAMBERT connections  ::)

JM

Other trees have this info

Leslie Cecil LAMBERT born 1898
birth cert. as Leslie SUTTON born 1898 Tumut district NSW , mother Jane, reg 26142/1898

father Joseph Augustus LAMBERT
mother Jane SUTTON

Marriage 1901 Joseph LAMBERT and Jane SUTTON Tumut NSW reg 5030/1901

I cant see Isabel in this tree

M

ADD - The 'Lee family tree' on Ancestry suggests that Leslie LAMBERT *may* be the father of Leslie LEE.

This report of his 1923 divorce from Lavinia Violet (Storey) may give strength to that theory
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223465623

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
Another lass named Isabel LAMBERT  :)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHP-4XYX

In late 1894 the ship, Ormuz arrived in Australian waters.  Among the passengers were :
Sarah Rose LAMBERT, wife, aged 27, noted as born England, Church of England, and could Read or Write
Robert, aged 7,  born England, C of E, could Read or Write
Isobel aged 5, England, C of E, No (not yet Read or Write)
Walter aged 3, England, C of E, No (not yet Read or Write)
Eleanor aged 2, England, C of E, No (no yet R or W)
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4812&ship=Ormuz%20[9]

In July 1893, Robert LAMBERT had lodged the Deposit for  them and the NSW Immi Deposit Journal has their arrival cross referenced as per that voyage listed above.  His address in November 1893 was Lane Cove Road, on the North Shore  (today this would be Pacific Highway, Gordon to North Sydney, and not today’s Lane Cove Road, in the Ryde district of Sydney)  At that time, Sarah Rose LAMBERTs address was 51 Tunbridge Street, Euston road, Kings Cross, London. 

I have not yet sought to follow that Isabel LAMBERT’s life in New South Wales, but I wonder about the birth in 1917 and his mum who our OP is considering was Isabel Henrietta LAMBERT born circa 1898…  afterall, Isabel the daughter of Robert and Sarah LAMBERT was likely born 1889.  I have seen women change their year of birth to make themselves seemingly younger.  Getting the last two digits out of order is one of the methods I have noticed, and may support the notion that Isabel Pattison was older than 45 years when she died in 1943.   

Now, as to that 1923 divorce that M found ….  ‘sitting on the grass with a woman’ at the back of the NSW Art Gallery …  wow,  umm….  back in the 1970s I frequented the Art Gallery and I have sat on the grass at the back … and done so with groups of women, … 

And that Leslie Cecil LAMBERT seems to have spent time in Bathurst Gaol in the 1920s.   

I continue to be concerned as to how to confirm the maiden name of the mum for Leslie LEE without actually having his official birth registration details, but I can see that there are quite a number of lasses in NSW during WWI who could be his mum.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm

Well this might be the breakthrough I have been looking for.  The Suttons/Lamberts are indeed my ancestors.  Jane Lambert's parents were Mark Benham Sutton and Sophia Wright, and they emigrated from Romford in England to Australia in 1873.  I am a descendant of a Wright who remained in Romford, a brother of Sophia.  So on my DNA matches most of my matches in Australia come from this couple.  They had loads of children Jane being one of them.  Her older sister's daughter married a Lee so that could be the connection but don't know for sure at all.  I and my contact in Sydney are 4th cousins but we can't find the connection.  However, as he mentioned Isabel as being a Lambert I did think of course of Mark and Sophia being the link.  Jane had 12 children all out of wedlock apart from one.  That is why her children were originally named Sutton but changed later to Lambert who was the true father (he was married to two others before he married Jane so they had one together legitimately).  I thought Isabel might have been hers but she had a son in 1898 which is the date I now think Isabel Henrietta was born as per her headstone.

I am curious as to who has this private tree with Isabel Henrietta on there connected to a Lee.  My family did indeed end up in Tumut.  I'm not a member of Ancestry anymore but my cousin in Australia is and has researched this as much as me but with no joy.  So I can ask her.  I am wondering now if one of Jane's sisters had a baby out of wedlock and had her adopted?   The parents mentioned as Joseph and May just don't fit in anywhere.

Thank you so much for your help.

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 May 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your very kind help and suggestions.  I will look into all of your information and send them to my cousin in Australia too.

Best wishes

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Quote from Matthew:

ADD - The 'Lee family tree' on Ancestry suggests that Leslie LAMBERT *may* be the father of Leslie LEE.

This report of his 1923 divorce from Lavinia Violet (Storey) may give strength to that theory
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223465623

I have looked into all the children as being possible mother or father to Leslie Lee but in this case I wonder why they think Leslie Lambert was the father and yet the child was a Lee?  Unless the mother was a Lee?  But my contact was told by his father Leslie Lee that his father was a John Lee.  And Isabel was a Lambert.  All very confusing.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The outline you have given of the SUTTON LAMBERT connection fits with available documentation most of which I suspect you already have.

Joseph married first Miriam and then Isabella.
When Isabella died in 1890, Joseph LAMBERT took up with Jane SUTTON and had a number of children.
There seems also to have been a chap called Grantley LAMBERT  born 1902 (*26945) who died in at Callan Park in 1924 (*7049) Was he another of the correct Jane?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
DCS - whose headstone has the dates on it that you mentioned a couple of posts ago?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk