Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 14th May  (Read 1128 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 14th May
« on: Thursday 14 May 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
After having a good day yesterday I've been feeling down again. I'm sure no-one on this topic would be mean enough to tell me to get a grip, I can hardly believe I read such a comment elsewhere (not directed at me). The understanding and sympathy I've received throughout has helped me a lot.

I couldn't get to sleep last night, it was about 3.30 when I finally went off. The situation with my plants being poisoned was preying on my mind again, I was wondering if or what would happen next. Having nothing else going on in my life has made me dwell on this and being hampered by not being able to shop for things that would help me adds to the frustration.

Felt rough when I woke up, my hair could have done with a wash but I couldn't be bothered. Went for my walk before lunch, not too busy but I got along the woodland path and soon diverted off because a young woman with a dog was just standing on the path looking at her phone. There was another person running from the same direction so I had no option but to get out of their way. The runner went past and she still stood there while I was trying to find a route back through the trees.  Some people are so selfish.

Home for lunch, had some hummus that I got with my supermarket delivery. I've tried a few supermarket options and only liked M&S but this one was rather good too. Had some tomatoes and cucumber with it and some of the miniature slices of bread.

Got kitted out for sunbathing, took my chair and kindle out in the garden. Was okay at first but one of the neighbours had a family member in their garden with her very noisy children who shriek all the time. It was driving me batty. Had dragged one of the planters through from the front garden to remove the bulbs, that's all the gardening I did.

From my very limited areas of observation it seems to me that a lot of people think that easing the lockdown means it's over. I do hope a hard lesson isn't on the way.

Hope everyone had a decent day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 14th May
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you've not had a good day Roobarb,try not to worry about your plants, perhaps when the garden centres are open you can nip out and buy something nice to put in the garden...

My day...

Had a poor nights sleep, woke at some rediculous time and decided to see if there were any C & C slots... lots so picked an early one Tuesday morning. Then spent bit of time filling the basket... quite a bit of wine😬Then tried to go back to sleep... snoozed  for a while and decided to get up...
OH up and ready to go off to play the few holes with one pal that he's allowed!
Had some breakfast, read news online then got down to the house work..
Washing on the line...
Was fine once I'd got going before I knew it OH was back... can only play 8 or 10 holes so not the usual marathon  session!
Finished with the hoovering then nice shower...
Lunch usual sandwich...
Decided I'd finish sewing the scrubs and listened to the radio...
O H busy sorting out house insurance.. managed to get a better deal for nearly £100 less that quoted by last years insurers! Moved some money into new account as nationwide giving rediculous rates!
He pops his head round to say new mower he'd ordered yesterday was going to be delivered by 6pm! And it arrived in a big box... like a kid with a new toy!
Dinner chilli with jkt pot and veg...
We almost missed the 8pm clapping as he was up the shed and I was busy sewing... rushed out all neighbours there..
Had chat afterward at a distance to our friends who live up the lane behind us nice to catch up with them..
Phoned friends after she'd sent me a whatsapp saying she was beside herself as they'd decided to close their business... she's run a montassori nursery for past 20+ years or more, turned their house over to it, her hubby good at reconfiguring the house, she said it was time to retire and this was right moment as she couldn't face the thought of children not being able to interact as they should be...
I know how she feels as we closed our business last year after 40 years.. felt totally bereft as does she and can't even go and see her and give her a hug.. oh this b... VIRUS
Sat down with glass of wine and attempted to read. Couldn't concentrate so came to bed. OH devouring the mower manual!
Well hope it's going to be warmer tomorrow as I'm fed up with the chilly wind and wearing winter sweaters...
Hope tomorrow will be a better day...
And for everyone else too
Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
I'll add my  thoughts to Caroline's message Roo - I think because you can't escape your situation at the moment you are focused on the issue with your plant.  Think I'd also buy a lovely new clematis (maybe even two) and plant it well away from that neighbour and shove two finger up to them when you do.  I know I'd be just as distressed as you if someone was messing about with my plants and garden.

Diary:

Well count me in on a broken sleep.  Couldn't get to sleep, then kept waking up.  I think I find the eeery silence at  night creepy and then dwell on this never ending situation.  In the morning however it was lovely sunny and bright, but not quite a sunglasses morning.  Usual morning routine and walk.  However, before I left  a lovely parcel had arrived!  My new joggers/leggings.  I quickly changed.  I felt very smart indeed....Nearly stepped on a 'june bug' in the park.  Well I guess it was just a large beetle, but in the States I think they were called 'june' bugs. A different crowd today. Mainly Mum's with young children and babies, and a few dog walkers.  No Dad's. Saw an older couple meeting up at a 'socially acceptable distance' with a friends.  I saw they gave her a couple of bunches of roses.  A nice touch.

Passed the 'blue' gate again... how could I miss that?  And then I realised there were another two blue gates further along.  Dear me I must be losing the plot.  A conspiracy of blue gates!

Didn't do too much else today. But very noisy!  Our neighbour but one had a team of tree surgeons in . The chainsaw and chipper were going most the day. Ugh....

Continued with some research and have been re-writing the Irish side of my family history.  I mean to get it bound into a little booklet and give to the family. However each page must be made into a separate pdf and it is a real effort.  So I might just print normally and spiral bind it.  But I'm glad to finally start putting the research into one place.  Then if I die tomorrow ( I don't plan to by the way) something is there .

Sat in the sun a bit (not too long because of the confounded noise), a few emails etc.
For tea some breaded chicken with some fancy  spicy 'fries' I bought at M&S the other day and salad. A treat because I didn't have to think too much about it 

Some telly....another day over

Stay Safe!
CD

PS - I had to laugh when I found out what was in Mr CD's parcel from yesterday....  a green house for his tomato plants and some plant supplies.  I thought of Mr Golf-buddies wife and her garden business! I wonder if Mr CD is a customer? ;D

PPS - We also had another parcel!  Daughter's boyfriend sent a package of 44 Wispa bars!  Sadly nothing like that has arrived for me from my dearly beloved..... ::)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello All.
I dip in and out of this thread, and I am heartened by the amount of support you give each other.

Roo, I shall get some M&S hummus if we go there again.  I find the Morrisons versions are rather acid, but I think Tesco is quite nutty.  Where was your latest delivery from that seemed ok?

RTL, I was glad that the bus on Wednesday was ok, and hope the situation continues tolerable.

So much on-line shopping going on, I have to wonder how much longer actual shops will survive..... I bought some shoes that I have been coveting for a long time. I couldn't believe the price, even with £7.50 postage added.  Then I discovered they are coming via Hong Kong! I probably wouldn't have bought, even at that price, had I realised.  :-\

I submitted my Mass Obs diary yesterday.  Also had a huge lump of filling disintegrate. Phoned my local dentist and got a message telling me to arrange a triage and appointment with the nearest facility, which is in Plymouth. When I got through to them I was told they are not open, but I should buy a DIY kit from Boots and phone again if I need anti-biotics. Terrific.  :'(

Have a good day all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I am sorry to hear that you had a rough day yesterday.  I know things have been hard with what happened to the Clematis and the cancellation of your holiday on top of what is what is already going on - anyone would be feeling low about all that.  It is a good thing that you are so disciplined about having a regular walk as this exercise is known to help boost the mood.  I think you are doing really well - of course no one would say 'get a grip'.  I think I would find things so much harder if I didn't have work to go to which can feel like a little bit of normal.  Just hang on in there, this can't last forever and imagine the boost you will get when everything does finally get back to normal.  :)

Thanks mowsehowse, I was a little scared on Wednesday night and momentarily felt like phoning police to say I was feeling unsafe but then I thought no I can't do that I must just hide instead.  I have since heard the station is now closed for resurfacing for 8 days now so I will have to try to get some bus from somewhere else when I go to work next week.  I have sent off my Mass Observation diary too!  Hopefully, they will acknowledge receipt of our diaries soon.  It is nice that you are dropping in on this thread too.  As Caroline has said, this helps make us feel that we are all in it together.  It is good to read other entries to see how others are managing and coping. :)

Diary:

Woke up a little later than usual but still early.  After breakfast I went to my local town to shop.  Last night the bus driver told me that the Haymarket bus station is going to be closed for eight days now.  I was so tired I just thanked him for the information but didn't think to ask why.  I ask today and a bus driver tells me this is so resurfacing can be carried out.

Some shops in my local town no longer have queues I see.

On return I have lunch and look at articles.  Robert De Niro is quoted as likening the present situation to science fiction.  That is exactly how I feel.  It still feels incredible that all this is happening and is not some crazy science fiction story.  The article also relates about the ongoing antagonism between De Niro and Trump.  De Niro is quoted as swearing about Trump and Trump referring to De Niro as a low IQ person.  I think all this swearing and name calling is just silly and childish and I think they should both be able to express what they think/feel without getting personal or insulting.   

After this I do some housework.  I had considered cutting the grass but the sun is not as bright as in the morning and it feels windy and cold.

I had been feeling really tired so I went for a lie down but fell asleep for a while.  After tea, I check and respond to messages.  Sister in law sent a recipe (she has got from somewhere - likely H & B) for vegan biscuits with loads of (expensive sounding) ingredients which can be bought apparently from Holland & Barrett.  I think it would cost a bomb to make up that recipe.  I think sister in law must have momentarily forgotten I am working class and therefore won't be likely to spend £20+ to make six biscuits. ;)  Sister in law lovely person though, and has also sent me a genealogy magazine through the post  as a surprise!  I look through this with enjoyment today.

I also do my Mass Observation diary entry write up, check this over, take a deep breath and press send!

At 8 pm I fling open my front door once again and clap with others in my street.  Again I hear the awful booming bomb like fire works going off and see the birds flee in terror across the sky.

Added: Just this second have had an email to say my writing for 'Mass Observation' has arrived. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for your support, it really means a lot to me that people I've never met can help me in this way. It's the nastiness of my neighbour's actions that gets me, I've always tried to be a kind person and was towards this neighbour before she turned against me, not even for something I'd done or said. It makes things so uncomfortable which is why I want the enhanced privacy in my garden. Anyway, enough of that!

Caroline - hope you're having a better day today
CD - hope you're having a more peaceful day

Mowsehowse - the hummus was from Asda, it's rather garlicky but that doesn't matter to me, there's not much chance of anyone kissing me these days! I found the Teco one too smooth, this one has a bit more texture. I was rather spoilt when I was on holiday in Crete a couple of years ago, we often used to return to the same restaurant for lunch where they used to bring a plate of home made hummus and crusty bread before any food you ordered. It was absolutely delicious! Of course nothing else can match that. A friend of mine makes her own but as I live on my own I wouldn't want any great quantity. I don't have a blender anyway! 

RTL - you always manage to give me a laugh in these dire times, today it was about the biscuits.  :D
The things you have mentioned about what Robert De Niro said certainly echos with me, the evening when the lockdown was announced I sat and cried for ages as it seemed so unreal, I couldn't believe this was happening to our flawed but beautiful world. No doubt it will be the subject of many films in the future.

Thanks again everyone, I logged into Rootschat earlier than usual today and you've made me feel so much better.  :-*

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roo..... I am working class too, so Asda hummus is more likely than M&S probably. 

My DiL makes hummus regularly, and I think once you have the tahini, it is easy enough to get in the swing of it, but without a blender would be more hassle.

Though I suppose the dip was dreamed up long before blenders..... ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
The M&S isn't actually a bad price but I don't have access to any at the moment! I'm just not one of nature's chefs  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 May 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
True to say my DiL is a bit special.