Author Topic: NSW Electoral rolls and New Zealanders  (Read 947 times)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
NSW Electoral rolls and New Zealanders
« on: Friday 15 May 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
Would a kiwi living in Sydney in the 30-40s HAVE to be on the electoral roll ?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Electoral rolls and New Zealanders
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
If said Kiwi  was a British Subject, aged 21 years or over, and had a permenant residential address in an Australian state, , at which he/she had lived for the immediate six months prior to enrolling, and so he/ she was not serving a custodial sentence of 12 months or more, nor was an undischarged bankrupt and most likely there are some other exceptions etc etc,  then he/She OUGHT to have been enrolled to vote in state and federal elections as it was compulsory for British Subjects.... afterall no such thing as "Australian Citizenship " until 1949. 

:)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 01:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Yeah, he was 40+, born in NZ, living in oz for at least 10 years.

Only one possible on the NSW death index, no parents listed.

But I cannot find him for sure on the electoral rolls ... :(

Guess I will have to get the death cert and work from there.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 02:31 BST (UK) »
If you are considering ordering a death cert, please consider an official transcription.  It has the same info as a real deal certificate, but is not as expensive.    And of course, where the NSW BDM online does not include given names for the parents .... well it is likely that there's other vital info that is not as reliable as you may anticipate.   It should have place of birth, age, etc... but if someone did not know names of the parents, then it is also possible they did not know the person was not born in NSW.   The Kiwi accent and the NSW accent may have been quite hard to separate prior to the influx of post WWII immigrants from outside of Britain.   :) 

official transcriptions http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

JM

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
Are you certain your ancestor died in NSW? Have you checked "ryerson index" to see if there might be a newspaper death notice?
If you would like to give us a name & date of birth, we may be able to help ypu - or have fun trying!
Cheers,
Valsgirl.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Yeah, fairly sure he was still in NSW.

William CHALMERS, born 1881 in Auckland.   

He married a Ruth PENN, but a Penn researcher is sure they split up in Australia.

Last known to be alive in 1956 (his sisters death notice). Living in Sydney. 

The death on the rolls, is in 1965 with no parents listed. There are no matches in the death rolls for his parents, Arch and Grace.

I have all related material in regards to the rest of the family and would prefer people focused solely on William, thanks.

The problem I think, is the William in 1965 may be the butcher who married Stella and from an old conversation with a elderly aunt was that she thought William was working in a bar ?

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
William Chalmers does not want to be found! His wife Ruth Matida didn't help me, find him, either.

1932, 33, 34, 36 & 37  - NSW Electoral roll for Ruth Chalmers, Rawson Road Smithfield, NSW. On the 1934 Roll a William Kirkpatrick Chalmers is living at the same address, as Ruth. I can't find a NSW death to confirm this is William's wife / ex wife.
1925 Qld Elect Roll - Ruth & William Chalmers (engine driver) but after further research I dismissed this as I think this Ruth was nee Riley.
I hoped William might be found with his brother Walter in NSW, but I suspect you have already been down that dead end road.
William's siblings death notices, & living descendants of those siblings, would be the track I'd take, hoping someone can shed light on Great Uncle William's Life.
Sorry I'm no help. but I can't stop "playing with" your very interesting family. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any possible theories.
Cheers.
Valsgirl

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 05:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking ...

Yeah originally 20+ years ago I tried hard to find him but ended up leaving it.

Got everyone else in that family line except him. All the oldies have now passed and I'm left with a photo and a old short conversation (with a Grt Aunt).

I may try that PENN researcher, tho last time I tried she wasn't working on the tree anymore, but you never know, if I find Ruth .............  :o