Author Topic: Brick Wall - Dawsons in Cheshire and Yorkshire  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - Dawsons in Cheshire and Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 May 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Back to the witness there is a Thos Wm Dawson lodger age 26 born Scotland in Normanton 1871 census.

Have to leave it there for tonight have waffled on enough!

Was looking at William Dawson's in Cheshire but an absolute dearth of bricklayers  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
I spent some time (!) yesterday seeking Frances or Fanny, with father William linked to building work, and any sisters with a middle initial "A", who might have been Agnes in disguise! I really must get a life! Lockdown!!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline DecoGal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
I spent some time (!) yesterday seeking Frances or Fanny, with father William linked to building work, and any sisters with a middle initial "A", who might have been Agnes in disguise! I really must get a life! Lockdown!!!

I am so grateful for this though! Although I have done the same/similar on countless occasions, I feel that I must have missed something. So it is reassuring to know that others are looking too!
Today I have been looking at all marriages in Yorkshire and Cheshire with surname of Dowson. And then went back to check all Dawsons again - looking for the possibility of another sibling or maybe a cousin.
I have also looked at all the marriages for the Diggles children in case a Dawson/Dowson shows up as a witness!
I enjoy a challenge, but this is something else!  ???

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
I hope the next puzzle you post is a little easier than this one  ;D  it's definitely not you missing something that's for sure. 

Maybe they were both adopted and given different names but can't help feeling a link to Scotland with the name Agnes. 

I keep thinking of the grandfather, whatever his surname was, could unlock something for us.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
I'm sure we'll keep popping back to it from time to time, just in case we have another idea where to search. Good luck ... oh, and I forgot right at the start, to say "Welcome".
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)